Chapter 41 - Today Was The Perfect Make-Up Birthday

Chapter 41 – Today Was The Perfect Make-Up Birthday

We returned from Muskoka sooner than planned.

Mostly because 1) Jamie grew homesick, 2) Miranda’s agent called and told her that she had to show up for another photo shoot early the next morning, and 3) Jacob received a call from Harold asking him to show up for work the next day.

So, the eight of us packed up our bags that afternoon after going canoeing, swimming (Dan and I had a who-could-hold-their-breath-longest competition. Dan won), and a nice hike. Even if we were there for a short period of time, I still had a fun time.

In the car, it was karaoke central again. Only this time, I joined in. “C’mon, cause I know what I like!” I sang, winking at Dan. He snorted, and looked away. “And you’re looking just like my type! Let’s go for it just for tonight! C’mon, c’mon, c’mon!”  I nudged Dan and he smirked at me.

It was more fun singing this time, since I was actually singing. And because I knew I had nothing to worry about; I hadn’t hurt Jacob’s feelings while letting him down. In fact, it had worked out for the better! And now, I could finally be with Dan in peace with no girlfriends or boyfriends in the way.

Jo, who sat in the front again, switched the station to a different song. It was another song everyone seemed to know and all of us, except Dan (who seemed to be acting too cool for school) started throwing out the lyrics.

“The sun goes down, the stars come out, and all that counts, is here and now!” Miranda, Jo, and I belted out, totally rocking it.

“My universe, will never be the same, I’m glad you came,” Conner, Jacob and Michael belted out and Dan started laughing at them since they were so off-tune. Poor guys.

“Stop laughing at your friends, Dan,” Michael chided playfully.

“I’m embarrassed to call you my friends,” Dan responded, thoroughly amused.

I nudged him again. “Singing is healthy, Dan.”

He rolled his eyes. “Nuh-uh. You’re not getting me to sing.”

“Turn the lights out now! Now I’ll take you by the hand. Hand you another drink, drink it if you can! Can you spend a little time, time is slipping away! Away from us so stay, stay with me I can make, make you glad you came!”

“Stop hogging the lyrics, Angelina and Michael!” Miranda admonished.

Jacob started laughing. “Yeah,” he agreed. “Let us sing a little, too.” He turned around in his seat and smiled at me. I couldn’t help but grin back.

Oh yeah, our friendship was totally going to work out. And odd enough, I liked having Jacob as my best friend more than my boyfriend. It all fit perfectly.

“Next song!” Conner called out. “The Wanted is getting boring!”

“The Wanted can never get boring!” Miranda defended. “Did I mention when I saw Max at the red carpet...”

I rolled my eyes as Jo switched to another song. Instantly, everyone joined in with Justin Bieber. 

“If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go,” Michael and Jo began.

“I can take you places you ain’t never been before,” Miranda and Conner added.

“Baby take a chance or you’ll never ever know,” Jacob went on.

“I got money in my hands that I’d really like to blow,” I finished, making my voice deep which made Dan chuckle beside me.

While the rest of them started jamming out, Dan took my hand in his and leaned close to my ear. Before I could ask what he wanted, he began to softly sing into my ear. “I’d like to be everything you want. Hey girl, let me talk to you.”