Chapter 42 - Maybe You Should Leave

Chapter 42 – Maybe You Should Leave...

Later that day, after meeting up with Jo at her house, I headed back to the apartment. Dan had gone to work a few hours ago, and I didn’t know if he was back or not. I hoped he was because unfortunately, I had been kind enough to give him the key. I seriously didn’t want to be locked out like him last time.

To my relief and surprise, I found that the front door was ajar. As I suspiciously entered and shut the door behind me, I looked around for Dan; he was sitting in the living room with someone else.

John Cutler was laughing, the noise bouncing off the walls. Dan looked panicked for a moment – until he spotted me and visibly relaxed. I raised an eyebrow in inquiry.

What was the superintendent doing here?  What sort of trouble were we in now? It never did end, did it? I sighed quietly to myself before pulling on my best smile. “Hello Mr. Cutler!” I greeted.

He turned around in surprise and smiled at me. “Why hello Angelina. I was awaiting your presence.”

I stood there awkwardly, rubbing my forearm. “Is something wrong?” I asked him hesitantly, searching Dan’s face for any clues. He seemed just as oblivious as me.

Mr. Cutler shook his head. “No, no, of course not! I just thought I’d bring you two some pleasant news.” We both waited for him continue. “I know you two have been living together for a month and may or may not have gotten along,” he began. “Yesterday, one of our tenants informed me that they were moving to Saskatchewan and therefore no longer needed their apartment. They’ll be moving out sometime next week, probably on the twelfth.”

“So...” Dan stretched out slowly.

“If either of you are having trouble living with each other, then just know that there is a room on the eighth floor that is available. It must not be easy living with the opposite gender.” He smiled. “And normally, we wouldn’t let two of the opposite sexes live together, but I suppose you’ve proven me wrong. Still, I would recommend one of you take up the offer as soon as possible.” He rose from the couch. “That was all. I hope you two have a nice day.”

“You, too,” I said. “And thank you for notifying us about the apartment.”

“You’re very welcome. I’ll see the two of you around, and be sure to consider my proposal.” He nodded at us before heading to the front door and exiting.

Dan just shook his head. “Please. Extra apartment my ass.”

“What?” I asked him.

He looked at me with amusement in his eyes. “Well, we don’t need that apartment, since the two of us are getting along just fine, right?”

An extra apartment. Though I knew Dan and I were getting along perfectly well, I couldn’t help but reconsider the idea. Living with him might seem fine, though I really knew it wasn’t. We were dating now – things would definitely get out of hand at one point and I didn’t want that to happen.