Strawberry

"I thought we were seeing a movie?" I grumble, running my hand along the table, drawing swirly shapes with my finger.

"I needed an excuse to take you out so Luke and Calum couldn't listen to our conversation." He says, adjusting his tank top.

"Why are we at an ice cream place?" I ask, looking around the empty frozen dessert establishment.

It was painted and themed like the arctic, with cute cartoon penguins, seals and polar bears. There was one big brown walrus painted above the door.

"Because you can get whatever flavour you want and I won't judge you." Ashton shrugged, gesturing to the self serve ice cream station in the corner.

"How did you-?" I ask, puzzled.

"You sometimes stare at the strawberry ice cream too long while we're at the store." He mumbles.

"While you're over there and you get me bubblegum." He calls, when I finish making my beautiful looking strawberry banana split.

"So you took me out so I could get my favourite ice cream." It's not a question.

"I don't mean to sound rude but are you sure you're gay?" He asks.

"Pretty sure."

"Do you find girls attractive?"

"Not really, and besides all they do is whine. I want to be able to feel a heartbeat when I hug people and boobs get in the way of that, it's weird. I don't mind our fans, they're cool and it's not like girls are completely disgusting but no, I like guys." I give a small nod at the end as if to confirm my statement.

"You're not as confused as I was when I came out to my family." Ashton continued to munch on his ice cream.

"You came out?" I ask, slightly dumbfound. Ashton? Ashton Irwin. What?

"Yeah, it's not a big deal though. I'm bi but usually end up with girls." He shrugs, "Don't tell anyone though, it was awkward telling my family."

I nod, than halt. How could I forget.

"I forgot to tell my family." I practically exclaim, dragging a string of curse words out along with it.

"Call them now."

"Hey mum, sorry if I woke up up. Can you get dad? Put it on speaker." I rush along barely greeting them.

"Calm down Michael. What is it?" Mum says, bewildered by my suddenness.

"Okay. Mum, Dad." I pause and look at Ashton, he gives me a reassuring smile. "I'm just going to come out with it, no beating around the bush. I'm gay." Closing my eyes I wait for their reaction.

"Michael. You called to tell us that? I thought you were calling for something more serious." Mum says, breathing out a short laugh.

"Your father has tears in his eyes. He seems to be proud of you." Mum explains, to make up for the long pause.

"Okay. Can you put Federer on?" I ask patiently.

"Why do you want to talk to the poodle?" She chuckles.

"I want to tell my immediate family. Federer is immediate family."

"Whatever you say."

There's a long pause and some jingling, followed by a sharp bark.

"Hey Federer, how are you? Would you like to know something? I'm gay. Feel free to tell your doggy friends because I love you." I coo, almost picturing my poodle wagging it's tail enthusiastically.