Chapter 34

"But before I do," Alex said. "We gotta give you something."

"Give me?" I repeated. 

"Something to help you sleep better."

Then the door opened, and Ethan stepped in. "You ready?" He asked Alex. 

"Yeah just give me a second, go get it." Ethan left. 

"Um...What was that about?" 

"You shouldn't worry about that now. Evan," He took his stethoscope off his shoulders. "can you do something for me?"

"Depends," I said, eyeing the stethoscope cautiously.  "What is it?" 

"I need you," He put the earpieces in. "To do some breathing exercises before we give you the 'something.'"

"Uh," 

"Not that bad, just in and out, slowly- loud enough so I can hear it, but not panting."

"That's a lot of rules." Whatever that 'something' was Alex knew it was bad. Alex only chuckled. 

"Just in and out, I'll do it with you if you want," He suggested. 

"Uh, I..." 

"Evan?"

"I don't know it seems-"

"Please?" He begged. His wide eyes smiled. 

"Fine." 

He placed the stethoscope on my chest and I began following his instructions. It wasn't long before Ethan came in again, holding a tray. 

My widened gaze immediately switched to the tray. "What is that?" I asked, stopping the breathing exercises. 

Ethan looked at Alex as if he wanted help to explain. 

"Evan," Alex pressed his hand against my shoulder. "You gotta keep breathing like that okay?" 

"Well, whats in there?"

"Some things that'll help you sleep for tonight." Ethan answered. "Mkay kiddo?"

"Uh,"

"Evan, look at me and continue."

My eyes widened but I did. I knew what it was. Soon I was greeted with a white hot pain rising through my wrist. I stopped the complicated breathing thing and was struck by intense heat. "Evan you need to keep breathing." Alex said calmly. The sting was growing. I thought shots didn't hurt that bad but this one certainly did. 

Trying to catch my breath was the hardest thing ever. I started fanning my face with my not-in-pain hand and soon that didn't work. "I can't breath." I hissed. Dots swam in my eyes. 

I heard Alex. "Alright stop stop stop." He looked over at Ethan. The needle left my skin. 

"Evan," Alex looked me in the eye. "I need you to focus. I need you to keep doing the breathing exercises. You could have passed out right there." 

My hand was still fanning my face. "I'm sorry!" I whined. "I'm not brave like that!" 

"You are brave, you just need to work on following me, okay?" 

I nodded shakily as tears fell.