Chapter Forty nine

"What.. what did you just say?"

Tumayo si Cole mula sa bar counter. Lumapit ito kay Elle habang hawak hawak sa kamay ang baso ng whiskey.

He silently stood in front of the floor to ceiling glass window of their European Manor while looking at the darkness outside. Kararating lang ng private jet nila kaninang alas nueve ng gabi. They left the Philippines in a hurry after the uproar kaya naman pinaiwan muna nila sina Everest at Minerva doon upang asikasuhin ang naiwang party.

"Cole.."

"How is she?" Sa halip ay tanong niya.

"Sleeping soundly. Rodjan and yaya Rosa is with her in the room." Elle patiently answered. "Now, ipapaliwanag mo na ba sa akin ang lahat?"

He sighed.

"Ano ba talaga ang nagyari ha, Cole? I want that explanation now." Elle demanded.

Sumimsim siya ng alak bago nagsalita.

"Ellora.."

Umpisa nito.

"Is my sister, Ranya."

Katahimikan. Except for the crickets outside, walang ibang maririnig kundi ang katahimikan matapos niyang sabihin iyon.

"W-what? But you said she's..."

Umigting ang mga panga niya ng bumalik ang lahat ng ala-ala niya noong mga bata pa sila ng kapatid niya. Kung maaari lamang ay ayaw na niya iyong balikan but he needs to let it all out. He needs to tell his wife about this part of his life. She deserves to know.

"We fell apart after our parents died during a terrorist invasion. They were both doctors in a former war-zone in Syria. They both worked there while me and my sister Ranya stayed in France with our grandmother."

Huminga siya ng malalim habang nanatili pa ding nakatitig sa kawalan.

"I fully understand the situation we were in at that time. Kung bakit wala ang mga magulang namin.. kung bakit kailangan naming maiwan kay lola habang sila ay nasa malayong lugar. Kahit na sampung taong gulang pa lang ako noon, I completely understand. But Ranya was just four. She was too young to understand. At kahit maging ama at ina kami ni lola sa kanya, she would still crave for our parents love and affection. May mga gabing umiiyak siya, looking for our mother. I would climb in her bed and sleep beside her until she stops from crying in her sleep."

Elle held his hand tightly in hers. Isinandal nito ang ulo sa balikat niya while he struggled to take a calm breath. This is the first time he had opened this part of his life to her. And who would have thought that reminiscing the past is still as painful as the day it happened?

"How did the two of you fell apart then?" She asked softly.

"I remember it was a couple of weeks before christmas when my parents went home to France. Ranya was so happy during that time. That finally, our parents would be able to join us for christmas for the first time. I have never seen her that happy.. Not until mom and dad broke the news. That they'll just stay up until two days before christmas. That broke Ranya's heart. And seeing her sad broke my heart too. Syria wasn't a safe place to stay but the last terrorist attack on where our parents were assigned to was recorded way way back. So I thought.. I thought it would be safe for Ranya and I to tag along.. I was damn wrong."

He gulped the lump in his throat as he remembered that moment.

"I remember walking up to my parents room that night. My mother was on the bed, reading her favorite novel while my father was on his desk, cleaning his revolver with a white cloth. He immediately hid away the gun when he saw me standing at the foot of their bed. They both looked at me with curiousity in their eyes. I told them what I came for and they just.. looked at me with disapproval in their eyes. They were strongly against the whole idea but I didn't listen. Finally, I was able to convince them. But only if it's up until after christmas. Then Ranya, grandma and I will come back to France. I was so happy Elle. I told the knews to Ranya and she was so happy. We packed our bags and we travelled to Syria a week before christmas. We lived in a small cottage near the lake and we spent the holidays there. The place was beautiful.. but on the day.." Napalunok siya bago nagapatuloy. ".. On the day just before christmas.."