The Spawns | Chapter XXXI -- Running on Fumes

THE SPAWNS

Running on Fumes

Chapter XXXI—Jayden

© DarknessAndLight

I was pretty sure I had dodged a bullet. Maika wasn't glaring at me anymore and all in all things seemed to be getting back to their normal pace, where not everyone hated my guts and I had my friends back.

Speaking of my friends back...

When Maika had gotten out of the pool, she had shook her wet hair like a dog over Cole and then just thrown herself on top of him. They fell asleep like that. Truth be told, it kind of annoyed me. I had that disturbing thought again that maybe Cole and Maika liked each other. I mean, it wasn't because Cole liked my sister that he couldn't also like Maika. Maika was a babe, he had every reason to like her, and they were always way too friendly lately. And Maika had no reason not to like Cole too.

All of this made me think about my sister. If she was here, she could keep Cole in line.

I missed my little sister. I had barely had any time with her since coming back from college. I had barely any time at all since coming back.

I missed my sister and now that I wasn't running around I actually had time to worry about her. After all, Cole hadn't been the only one screaming in the hallway that other night.

My phone was back in the motel room, so I left my two best friends to sleep and headed to our room.

When I walked in, I threw myself on the bed and called her.

She picked up a few seconds later.

"Jayden!" It kind of warmed my heart, every time my little sister called my name. I always had a strong protective urge whenever I heard it. I just wanted to hug her and make sure everything would be alright.

"Hi Belly, so, what's up with that disappearance act? I thought you missed your big brother," I asked, teasing.

"You're the one that left out of the blue to the Creek," she replied with a scoff.

I could have said something different, but maybe it was time to fess up and clear things up. "Ah, but that's only because you kissed my friend."

"JAY!" Belly automatically squealed.

I chuckled. "What?"

"You can't say that."

"It's true though."

"JayJay," she whined.

I laughed again. "What Belly?"

She took a second too long to answer. "Did Cole tell you?"

I shook my head even though it was useless, because clearly, she couldn't see me. "Not at all. It was kind of easy to figure out."

"Wait, I thought you didn't know."

I rolled my eyes, again only for my benefit. "You guys seriously need to stop underestimating me."

She chuckled. "You need to stop being out of it all the time."

"I'm really not that bad though."

She chuckled again. "Suuuuuure."

I got up on my feet at that point, and started to pace around the room. "Anyway, how are you doing?"

"I'm really good." I could clearly hear the smile in her voice. It made me smile too. "I've been having a lot of fun with Nikki."

Grinning, I said, "That's great. I'm happy for you."