The Spawns | Chapter X -- What Do They Teach You at Nun School?

THE SPAWNS

What Do They Teach You at Nun School? 

Chapter X—Jayden

© DarknessAndLight

Dad walked up the stairs, following Belly before I could even tell him my new awesome idea.

            Oh well, his lost.

            I headed towards the kitchen, straight to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. There was left over pizza, and I was hungry. I didn’t know how long that slice had been in here though so I sniffed it. Hmm, good enough. I shrugged to myself, took a big bite and swung my bag over my shoulder, making my way up to my room.

            Up the stairs, I only got to hear my sister utter “Whatever you say” before closing the bathroom door very loudly behind her.

            I narrowed my eyes at my father. “Dad, what did you tell her?”

            He shrugged, ready to go back downstairs. “Nothing that concerns you.”

            Uh, what? “When you upset my sister it concerns me,” I replied dryly, shoving the rest of the slice of pizza in my mouth.

            He rolled his eyes at me—typical—and answered while walking towards the stairs. “Don’t worry about it, she’ll come around.”

            I turned around, ready to grab him and shake him. When it came to my sister, not worrying about it was not an option. “Hey, it’s not because,” I started to mumbled, mouth still full, before managing to swallow without dying, “I haven’t been around for a while that I shouldn’t be filled in on everything. What’s wrong?”

            Dad sighed heavily. “If she wants you to know, she’ll tell you.”

            Okay, this wasn’t amusing. “Dad, I’m serious here, what’s wrong?”

            “Again, nothing that concerns you,” he pressed.

            “And again, when it concerns my sister it concerns me.” I hissed in frustration. “Seriously, I’m sick and tired of not being filled in everything just because you all claim I’m stinking unobservant. That’s all you all ever do, you laugh, you pat my head or something and say “Aw, how unobservant.”,” I added in a rush. Everybody took me for an idiot. It pissed me off.

            “Jayden, I’m sorry you see things this way,” Dad told me, and he looked sad saying that. I think I hurt his feelings by blurring what I just had, but I couldn’t really help myself. It was just the way I felt. “but honestly, it’s not my story to tell, it’s hers.” He just left it at that and went back downstairs.

            Well, that was a lovely conversation. Not.

            Sighing, I walked in my room and dropped my bag on the floor by the door. I took a big gulp of water and changed into old tattered jeans and a t-shirt stained with paint. I had a new project in mind so there really was not point in moping.

            But as skipped down the stairs I heard the backdoor open. Dad was probably heading out to his shack. I was still pissed so I didn’t want to talk to him again just yet, especially if it meant telling him my new idea. He could use the silent treatment for a little while.