The Spawns | Chapter VI -- The Concept of Prince Charming

The Spawns

Chapter VI—Lilibeth

The Concept of Prince Charming

© DarknessAndLight

I focussed on the food in the plate in front of me not daring to look up.

           Because every time I looked up he was looking at me. Why couldn’t he stop? And why did he have to look at me that way?

           I rolled around the peas in my plate with my fork trying to regroup them by size. If I ignored him, he would stop, right? Of course, part of me didn’t want him to stop, part of me loved how, just the way he looked at me, raised goose bumps on my arms, warmed my cheeks and made my breathing almost shallow. Part of me also completely hated that he conjured such reactions. I was torn when it came to Cole Torres.

           I had known him all my life, and ever since I had been introduced to the concept of prince charming and that ultimate kiss at the end of the story and the happily ever after that insured, I had known that Cole was the one. That crush you have when you’re just a little kid, for me, it had been him. I had never really known a life without Cole in it; he was always there, always up to some mischief with my brother.  

           People that knew Jayden and Cole said they were best friend. The people close to them said they were like brothers. But I knew better. They weren’t like brothers, no, it was a bond even stronger than that. Sometimes they almost acted as one. You could easily be infuriated when you listened to them talk because they knew each other so well that their conversations made no sense to others.

           Just like now at the table. There were at least three conversations going around, but I could easily concentrate on listening to the voice of the two boys.

           I risked a peek.

           Jayden and Cole were passing the salt and pepper, but the way they did it, without looking at each other, they almost looked like an old married couple.

           Jay turned his head a bit, listening to something Travis had just said and smirked. He gave Cole a small shove of the elbow. “Remember that time in New York.”

           Cole snorted, nodding, giving the bowl with the vegetables to Jay. “Oh yeah when that guy was just there.

           “Yeah and then the other arrived and it was like…” Jay did big hand moves.

           “And, and, and, then the other, and it was just…” Cole made big goofy hand moves too.

           Jay cupped his face, they way people do to scream out things so people can hear you afar. “HELLO!”

           “Yeah!” Cole laughed, shaking his head “Oh man, people are crazy!”

           Jayden was laughing too. “Totally!

           I shook my head, a small smile forming on my lips, and looked down at my peas again. To me, that conversation had made no sense. But of course to them, it looked hilarious. It was just the way they were, Jayden and Cole were best friends, they had too many inside jokes for their own good.

           The people they let enter their close circle were few. There was Maika, but she was just like the third string to a rope, making it stronger. She easily fell into that almost unsettling bond they had.