Chapter 14- Knot

It was Monday morning and I entered the school building gripping onto my school books tightly and walking towards the direction of my locker. I reached and opened the lock shoving my books inside and grabbing my English books— Aside from the one that Cameron ruined and had still not brought me a new copy of.

I frowned remembering the day I had a soccer ball thrown to my face which had bruised me. I looked at my reflection in the mirror inside my locker studying to see if there was still was any hint of bruising. Thankfully there was not.

"Hey", a voice broke me out of my thoughts and I turn around to see Cameron.

What a coincidence.

"I was actually just thinking about you", I confess.

Cameron's handsome face grins. "Thats crazy because I was thinking about you too", he flirts confidently leaning on the locker next to me.

"Not what I meant", I tease rolling my eyes before I cross my arms together.

"Ouch way to get a guys hopes up", he laughs clutching his chest as though I had punched him making me smirk.

"Well you promised me a new book and I don't see a new book. Which isn't helpful because my first class is English".

"That's part of the reason I came to see you. Here", he opens his back pack and hands me a brand you copy of to kill a mockingbird.

My mood is lifted when I see the new cover.

"Thank you", I smile still staring at the book.

Don't judge me I just loved books and I loved new books even more.

"Does that mean you forgive me for that incident?" He scratches his head sheepishly probably remembering what had happened.

"Yeah it's cool just maybe you should practice on your aim", I tease.

He rolls his eyes but chuckles. "How about I take you out as a way of saying sorry I hit your face and bruised it but i hope free food will make up for it?" Cameron raises his eyebrow his blue orbs hopefully look into mine.

"How about I'll think about it?" I hadn't actually been asked out before and honestly as ridiculous as it sounded at that very moment I wanted to run the hell away because my insides were shaking with nerves.

"Okay give me your phone", he opens his hand waiting for my phone and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"You're an occupational hazard what if I give you my phone and you break it like you nearly did to my face", I can't help but tease him and he shakes his head trying to hide the smile on his face.

"You're never gonna let me live this one down are you?"

"Never", I'm laughing but I hand my phone to him and he types away his number before handing it me back.

I look at the contact name and burst out laughing.

Cameron had written his name as occupational hazard and well there we go, I guess I had a new nickname for him.

He flashes me his smile and waves goodbye before walking away. I couldn't believe the fact he had just asked me out or the fact that I had actually kissed a stranger at the party last Friday.

A stranger who was a supposed gang leader. My mind instantly runs through the events of Friday and I sigh wanting to forget that any of it ever happened. I close my locker and walk towards my English class, hopefully to kill a mockingbird would be a good enough distraction.

"Morning Miss Riley", I politely say and she beams at me.

"Morning Winter, did you finish the essay I gave you all?"

"Yes. Here it is", I open my file and hand her my work, she smiles in approval before I walk to my seat.

That's when it hit me.

Tyler was in this class and the last time I had seen him was Friday where I had screamed and insulted the hell out of him.

Well this was going to be awkward.

A few minutes later he walks in towards the desk I sat looking at me with a nonchalant gaze before placing himself on the seat next to mine. His perfectly symmetrical face l turns to gaze at me and raises his eyebrow.

"Where did you disappear too for the last two days?"

I remain silent listening to miss Riley speak and begin to take notes on the book. I didn't need Tyler to distract me, I needed to study and learn more about how Scout Finches father Atticus finch who was an attorney was trying to prove the innocence of a black man in the novel.

"So you're ignoring me now?" He continues to speak and the pen I'm writing with seems to dig in harder into the paper frustratedly trying to continue to ignore him.

"Winter".

I accidentally press a hole through the paper I'm writing notes on and turn to look at him irritatedly.

"Some of us are here to study Tyler so can you do me a favour and be quiet so I can concentrate", I know I sound harsh but I don't want to speak to him he just confused me and I didn't like being confused. Confusion lead to frustration and frustration lead to overthinking and I'd rather not go through all of that.

"I know you're mad at me but I did you a favour", he leans back on his seat clearly he'd given up trying to reason with me.

"Even if he's a gang leader or whatever the hell else why did you punch him for kissing me?"

"Winter. If you're thinking I have some sort of crush on you get it out of you head because that will never happen", he bluntly says before looking back at the board and tapping his pen on the table.

I stare at him for a couple of seconds taken aback trying to blink back tears I didn't know why his words hurt so much and I cursed myself for even caring that he had said that to me. I try to take a deep breathe but I feel this tight knot forming in my throat. I stand up grabbing my things walking towards Miss Riley.

"Sorry Miss I feel really sick is it okay if I go home? I'll catch up with everything there", the knot in my throat is becoming bigger and I don't want her to see that I'm upset because I'm okay. At least I will be.

"Are you okay Winter?" She looks concerned but I give her a reassuring smile and nod her head.

"Just period pains I feel a bit sick, first day", I force a laugh and she nods her head.

"Okay that's fine. I hope you feel better I'll email you what we'll will do in this class", I shake my head in thanks before storming out and before I know it tears stream down my pathetic face as I walk out of the school.

"Winter wait", I hear Tyler's footsteps behind me but I continue to walk away not wanting anything to do with him.

"Winter stop", he grabs my arm and spins me around I try to wipe away the tears quickly as though he hadn't even noticed my puffy eyes and red nose already.

"Tyler what part of leave me the fuck alone don't you understand", I yell yanking my arm back.

"Why did you storm out the class?"

—And he called me oblivious?

"I feel sick", I lie.

"Why are you crying?"

"I'm not", my tone sounded robotic and I refused to look him in the eyes.

"Okay I'm taking you home".

"I don't need a chauffeur".

"I don't give a shit. I said I'll take you home", he grabs my hand entwining his fingers into mine. I look at his face and his midnight black tousled hair, his determined expression as he pulls me towards the direction of his car, I remain silent. I suddenly feel exhausted, I didn't want to argue, I didn't want to do anything really. So I let him lead me to his car where I got in and silently sat as he drove me home.

Except this wasn't the direction of my house.