Chapter 19- Detective Skills

I step out the car with more confusion than when I had entered the car. This whole thing seemed to be a mystery, a mystery that someone had yet to solve. If Peter Wyatt Jays father was the real criminal that meant that the boys didn't know.

In their minds Trevor Daniels and his father had put their dad in prison for their own crimes.

Things still never added up. This didn't answer my question on why Trevor was a gang leader. I didn't know anything about his dad either. For all I could tell he could have been lying to me, but the pain in his voice and the anger seemed so real.

But was it?

I got home, twisting the key in the whole and stepping inside.

"Hey sweetie. How was school?" my mum breaks me out of my thoughts and I give her a small smile.

"Great. Plenty of assignments and homework to last me a life time", I sarcastically say as I enter the kitchen to grab a glass of milk.

Mum frowns pausing what she was doing to look at me properly.

"Are you okay? You look tired", she states.

She was right, I was exhausted as ever.

"I'm good mum, how was work?" That seems to somehow reassure her and she smiles happily at me. Mum was an architecture who helped build rich people houses— She enjoyed her job and it paid well.

"Great we just finished the renovations for the Caston mansion. It turned out great. I'll take you there when you're not too busy", she picks up the bowl and begins whisking the mixture.

Brownies. That was her secret to winning us all over— she had this secret recipe and well it was mouth watering. I grinned eagerly nodding as I hungrily stare down at the mixture.

Dad was a doctor. That was why I hardly ever saw him. He always had shifts that went through out the day and he'd come home late at night and leave early in the morning when we were all still asleep.

"Hey honey. How have you been?" He must have sensed my surprise when I look at him standing there in his doctor uniform.

"Dad", I finally exclaim running up to hug him tightly. I knew my parents worked hard for a living and so I always tried to be the perfect daughter and not break any rules. It was the least I could do.

I had missed the manly aftershave he always had on. I had missed him.

"I've been good. What are you doing here? Don't you have a shift to cover?"

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" He jokes.

"No way. Who am I going to sweet talk into giving me money", I grin sweetly at him and he rolls his eyes before laughing.

"I've got a couple hours off then I'll be back at work. It's hectic as ever. The crime rate seems to be going up lately— The people getting injured are just kids. I worry about you. Be careful when you leave the house Winnie, okay?" That was his concerned tone and honestly I missed it so I  flashed him a reassuring smile and nodded.

"Don't worry dad I'll be fine. You go get some rest before work. We'll talk later", he gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Don't forget to pick Bebe up from school babe I have to get to a meeting in an about two hours", mum calls out to dad and he gives her a wink and then pulls her in for a long smooch which I did not really want to see but love right?

"Don't worry my love", he grinned his handsome smile before walking out of the kitchen.

Mums face lit up as she watched him walk out grinning like someone who had just won the lottery. It was adorable really.

"Mum I'm going to do some work so call me when the brownies are ready".

"I don't even need to call you because I'm pretty sure you have some sort of sixth sense and can smell them from miles away", she laughs poking me and I swat her hand away giggling.

"You're right. I'll come back down when I sense them", I roll my eyes but give her a small peck on the cheek and walk upstairs and enter my room closing the door behind me.

I take a deep breath and exhale out.

It was time to do some research. Research on what the hell was going on in this place.

I once read that to have great detective skills my mind and eyes had to be open in order to figure out all the clues and untangle the mysteries within. I had to unravel all the tightly spun lies that webbed around this place. I decided I would solve this quietly and to myself. I knew this could be dangerous.

I loved crime shows. I was always into mysteries and becoming a detective and maybe this would give me the boost I needed. I decided that I'd solve it all, I'd work out who the bad guys were, I'd work out who the innocent ones were too.

This wasn't only about my romance life anymore, it was something more. Something bigger and I felt it in my gut.

So I turned to the board that hung on the wall opposite me which was hidden behind curtains and began creating a spider web. Names, questions and reasons. Honestly, I didn't know what I was trying to figure out. It just didn't make sense— and when something didn't make sense to me. I had to figure out why. I guess you could say that was an annoying trait about me.

My phone vibrated loudly on my desk distracting me from my current task.

The screen read Jessica what did she want?

I picked up to a girly voice greeting me.

"Hey hun. We're going shopping. Get ready".

"Uhm we?"

"Yes. Me and you silly and I'll introduce you to some of my girls".

"Yeah not gonna happen I'm busy".

"To late were already at your front door", and with that the doorbell rang making me huffing in annoyance. Seriously? Out of all the times she had to pick now to irritate me? I cut the phone before grabbing my bag and keys.

Guess I was going shopping.