Chapter 18- Another Side To The Story

Trevor's coffee brown eyes bore into mine, I stood there frozen in place. I slowly take the earphone out my ear and raise and eyebrow trying to conceal the fact I was trying not to shit my pants.

"You really think I'm going to get in a car with you?" I hear myself confidently say which is surprising because all I want to do is run away.

"That wasn't a question Winter. Get in. Or I'll make you. You don't want me to make you, trust me", his icy tone was threatening and I believed every word that came out of his mouth.

My heart was pounding and my legs felt weak like they had suddenly been turned into jelly. My brain tried to negotiate with me, maybe I should just make a run for it.

Or maybe, this would help me figure out what was going on and more about what had happened between Tyler and him. I gulped nervously cursing under my breath before opening the car door and getting inside.

This was a stupid idea. A stupid, stupid idea.

Curiosity kills the cat Winter.

Trevor turned his head towards me, the iciness in his eyes had disappeared and were now replaced with that kind smile I had seen when we had first met.

"What do you want?" I finally say impatiently. I cross my arms together scowling at him and he smirks at me.

"I'm sure by now your friends have told you about me. Now it's my turn to tell you my side of the story".

"Why do you care what I think? I'm a nobody so just let me get out of the car and go home. I don't want anything to do with this bullshit between you and Tyler. That's your own problems", I was lying. I wanted to know exactly what was going on. I wanted to know why it happened, how it started and why he did what he had cruelly done.

A small smile plays on his lips and he shakes his head chuckling in the process. "I think you're lying. We may not know each other very well but I can read you. I can read the fact you're curious to know what had happened between me and the Wyatt brothers and why. But that's not the only reason".

"Oh yeah? and what's the other reason?"

"When we first met. I didn't know who you were. To me I had found a pretty girl and I liked her. Only when Tyler came and interrupted our... How should I put it? Moment. Did I realise that you must be important to him".

"That doesn't change the fact that you put his father in prison or the fact that you're a gang leader", I roll my eyes.

"Who made you judge Judy?" He jokes.

"Are you done? Can I go now?"

"I never put his father in prison. Maybe Tyler and Jay think their father is this innocent guy but I know very well he is not".

"What does that even mean?" I just feel confused and more frustrated I look at him with his confident posture and annoying smirk as he tried to play it cool.

"We were 15 years old and yes me thinking I was this bad ass dude I took a piece of my dads stash and showed it to Tyler. At the time, I was just trying to act cool in front of him— We were best friends and we were always trying to show off. That day was my mistake and I take full responsibility over my stupidity when we got clocked by the cops and he was the one holding it".

"—and you blamed him. You said that it was his", I accuse narrowing my eyes at him.

Trevor's face hardened he seemed angry with himself and he pauses in thought.

"You people wouldn't understand my reasons for doing so", he laughs bitterly shaking his head.

You people?

"Forget it. This was a mistake. Get out", he seems so angry now and I stiffen when he yells at me.

"No", I finally form the courage to say as I lean in closer to him studying his pained expression.

Maybe there was more to this story than he was letting on.

"Make me understand. Make me believe that the caring and nice guy I met at the party is in there".

He guarded posture relaxes and he looks down at his lap. He didn't seem scary anymore to me, instead he looked vulnerable.

"I'm a black man in America. I don't have white privilege like they do. When the police found us he took out a gun and pointed it at me. Not towards Tyler at me".

"I was 15 years old and he pointed the gun at me. I wasn't even the one holding the stash but in his mind he must have seen a black boy and assumed straight away that I was trouble. Maybe he thought I was a dealer selling to an innocent white boy, maybe I was threatening the white boy so he had come in time to be the hero. I don't really care what he thought all I knew was that in those few moments my life could end. You don't understand how scared I was, how scared I was for my life so I automatically blurted the first thing in my mind to save myself. It was selfish I know but I knew that Tyler would be let of easily but me? He could have shot me there and then without so much of a blink of the eye".

A realisation hit me and I feel really bad. I had never looked at it from his perspective at all. What he had done was wrong but it was done out of fear. Fear for his life.

"Why are you telling me all this?" I barely hear myself whisper and he looks at me with sad eyes.

"Because I'm tired of being called the villain".

I could sense the raw anger inside of him, his pupils seemed to darken and any hint of sadness disappeared quickly and were replaced back with empty emotion.

I knew this was his way of coping his wall that he built around people to protect himself and I don't know what lead me to move my hand slowly to his face, I guess it was more of a comforting gesture, it seemed to work because he relaxed.

"Answer one more question".

He nods his head.

"But why let his dad take the fall?"

Trevor moves his hand to mine and moves it away from his face shaking his head.

"There's always another part of the story that no one ever talks about. Or perhaps no even knows about. That part is the most shocking revelation of it all", he sarcastically says.

"Tell me".

"I let his dad take the blame because the drugs weren't my dads. They were his dads".

I'm now in a complete state of shock when I look at his face trying to figure out if he was lying to me. If he had made this all up for me to believe him. He had to be lying?

Or was it true?

Was the real criminal my best friends father?