Chapter 17- Bonding

I grabbed a turkey sandwich, a pot of carrots and a bottle of apple juice placing them on my tray then turning around pausing as I scanned the lunch hall filled with students. There were loud chatters and laughter amongst them all, all talking about the latest gossips or whatever teenagers had to talk about.

I wasn't friends with any of them, nor did I feel I belonged here so I made my way across the hall ready to sit behind the bleachers and eat my lunch alone.

"Not today lady", a hand grabbed my wrist dragging me to the opposite direction of the room and when I turn to see who it is I barely have time to respond or exclaim aloud. Chase grinned mischievously at me as he dragged me to the table filled with people.

The popular table to be specific.

"But.." he cuts me off shaking his head at me like I was a little toddler, "No buts you're sitting with us from now on. No more loner life, you're part of the squad now".

A small part of me feels a little warm inside and I smile at the prospect of being in a 'squad' I'd never been in one before. It was always just me and Jay. The other part wants to run away and hide in a corner and I didn't know why I never felt confident being around people but maybe being with them would help me.

"Hey girl where have you been?" Carter Lee says as I seat myself next to him and he swings his arms around me.

"I missed you", he flirts and I shake my head trying to hide the smile that was lingering on my face but failing miserably. His Korean genes did him well and whenever he flashed his charming smile it makes me smile back and lowkey have a small heart attack.

"Well. That's a shame because I didn't miss you", I tease.

"You're breaking my heart Monroe", he sighs before shaking his head then grabbing his burger which he happily munches on.

"We were wondering if you were gonna disappear on us. Good thing Chase here grabbed you before you made a run for it", I blush at Mateo and tuck a fallen strand of hair behind my ear.

"I wasn't purposely running away".

"Really? Because how I saw it. You looked like you were about to collapse in absolute shock and horror when chase dragged you here", the enter table begins to laugh at me and I roll my eyes but grin.

"It's okay we don't bite. At least, we don't but Chase on the other hand", Jacob raises his eyebrows in exaggeration which earns him a punch from Chase.

"Way to keep a secret bro, so not cool", he scowls shaking his head by he doesn't seem annoyed. Jacob and the boys continue to laugh and crack jokes and I find myself enjoying their companies.

"Winnie", a excited voice says from behind me and I automatically smile at hearing my best friends voice as he wraps his arms around me in a hug from behind me.

"Hey Jay. Where did you go?"

"Well from the way his hair is all ruffled, that shirt of his is all creased up and the lipstick stains on his neck I'd guess that he and Jessica here were being naughty", Chase analyses smugly.

"Erm. Ever considered being a detective?" I laugh but look to see if he's right and indeed he is and from Jessica's flushed tone right now I think that confirmed that Chase was correct which just left me shaking my head grinning.

"Actually I have", Chase replies back innocently.

"Chase why don't you look for an actual relationship of your own instead of studying mine", Jay leans in and grabs a carrot slice and all heads turns to chase who dramatically rolls his eyes, "I have relationships".

"I think that's the problem hun, you have relationships not a relationship", Jessica rolls her eyes, she seats herself next to Jay and moves to her bag to grab a nail filer then begins to buffs her nail looking disinterested with our current topic.

"Is this the judge Chase day?" Chase exclaims defensively and we all laugh at his reaction.

"We judge you everyday not just one", Carter teases.

"Oh is that right? Shall I start exposing you too?" Chase challenges before they stare each other down and begin playfully fighting each other.

Boys.

"Well. As much as you all are entertaining to listen to I've got to go to physics early. See you guys later", Carter gets up waving good bye.

"Yeah also we have soccer practice after school guys. Remember the match is on Friday and it's against Barren High", Mateo states his tone changes when he says the last part whilst scowling.

The Solano boys and Barren highs boys really did hate each other. The rivalry ran way back but the whole thing was ridiculous. In my opinion.

"You're coming to the football game right?" Jay asks raising an eyebrow.

"Uh... You know that ain't my scene".

"She's going. With me actually", Jessica buts in which I really didn't appreciate but I fake a smile. Fuck it. What's the worse that could happen?

"Then it's settled. You can cheer lead with us if you'd like?" Jessica moves her head to the side as she studies me waiting for my answer.

The question makes me burst out in fits of laughter and when I finally finish laughing I wipe a tear away.

"Cheerleading? Me? You're actually hilarious".

Jessica blinks a couple of times still looking at me.

"Well it was just an offer but if you don't want to it's fine", for some reason I feel her tone is bitchier than normal. Maybe her innocent persona was slowly beginning to fade away.

"Give it a try. It ain't gonna hurt if you try something new", Jay gives me a reassuring smile and I roll my eyes.

"It might not hurt me but I probably will hurt someone else because I have no coordination what so ever and you of all people should know that. Remember the fall dance??"

Jay try's to hide the smirk forming on his face as he remembers the day that I fell on my face in front of everyone. I cringed at the memory trying to force it to somehow disappear from my brain.

The bell rung and that saved me anymore awkward conversations so I grab my bag standing up, "I have free periods right now so I'm just going to go home. I'll catch you guys later", I say my goodbyes before leaving the table and walking outside.

I grab my ear phones and play Chris Brown Attention and begin humming to the song. I it was for once a sunny day so I enjoyed the sun hitting my skin as I walked home.

That's when a car pulls in and presses the breaks right in front of me causing me to halt.

The black Bentleys windows slides open and I stare in shock as Trevor stares back at me.

"Get in", he demanded.