Chapter 28- Jay & Tyler

I wake up blinking a couple of times my eyes  readjusting themselves to the bright lights of the room I'm in.

"Ugh", I groan out in pain when I try to pull myself up but a sharp pain in my right shoulder  stops me from doing so.

Ow. Ow. OW.

"Slow down Winnie your shoulders bruised", I look around my surroundings realising I'm in the schools medical room.

Oh yeah how could I forget, world war three had happened.

I avert my gaze towards Jay whose sitting next to me holding an ice pack towards his bruised face. When we make eye contacts I can't help but have this bubbling feeling that tickled my throat ready to burst out in laughter at the ridiculousness of this whole situation.

I could tell Jay felt the same way as his brown orbs twinkled in amusement.

Then the silence dissolved into loud fits of laughter between the two of us.

"Ow", I clutch my stomach in between giggles honestly laughing was currently painful but I couldn't help it and neither could Jay.

"I'm sorry", we both blurt out at the same time which makes us both grin at each other.

"I'm sorry Winter... I never gave you a chance to explain yourself I just snapped a-soon as I heard Trevor say you had gotten into the car with him. I shouldn't have".

"I'm sorry to Jay, for not telling you about that day. I was actually forced into the car but when I got out I was so confused when he told me about your dad but I'm sorry you had to find that out in such a shitty way".

"It's okay. You're my best friend I should have just spoken to you instead of acting like a douche".

"At least you finally accepted the fact you're a douche", I tease him and he rolls his eyes at me but grins.

"You scared me Winnie. Don't ever do that to me again", he leans in closer to me and takes my hand squeezing it gently.

"It's not like I purposely wanted to be rugby tackled to the ground", and he chuckles at this but then sighs tiredly and slouches back onto his chair staring at the plain white wall above him in thought.

"Do you think what he said about my dad is true? That he's a criminal?"

I give him a small smile. I knew I couldn't understand what he was feeling right now and I wanted to reassure him in some sort of way however, Trevor maybe right and I couldn't hide what I thought from him anymore.

"I don't know Jay but he sounded like he was telling the truth. I know you all hate Trevor and what he did was messed up. I completely get that but look at it in his perspective. We have white privilege and as unbelievable and ridiculous as it may sound him being black man can be the only reason to get a bullet straight to the head".

"They pointed a gun at him. Not Tyler, him. The police officer pointed a fucking gun at a harmless 15 year old. Wasn't Tyler the one caught holding the cocaine?"

He looks at me intensely, "You're right and that is messed up but it doesn't excuse the fact he pinned the blame on my dad".