Chapter 25: Who am I?

Alex’s POV

“Yoh Alex! Earth to Alex!” Harry snapped his fingers at me.

“Yeah?” I lazily said not tearing my gaze from the view.

“We have to go now.” Harry slid his hands around my waist and rested his chin in the crook of my neck. For show, obviously.

“Why?” I groaned. If it were up to me, I would never leave this beautiful sight.

“We have dinner remember? Gosh what’s up with you today? You’ve been totally out of it.” His tone was light but a bit serious too.

“This view is just really amazing to me okay?” I laughed hoping to ease his curiosity for my wandering mind.

“C’mon let’s go.” He tugged my hand and a faced him. He gave me a small toothless smile before leading me out.

After a lot of walking and talking we made it to the car. The ferry ride was nerve wrecking but not as much as I thought it was.

“We meet them at some restaurant near the hotel later. I think Lou is going to help you get dressed.” Harry said as he drove.

“Sure.”

“So I was thinking the other day…” He said turning his head to me for a second.

“Hope you didn’t hurt yourself.” I smiled

“Alex you are a very mouthy girl.” He said in a fatherly tone. I brushed him off with a dramatic eyeroll. “Anyways I was thinking that I don’t know much about you- besides the fact you have a mean right hook.” He chuckled.

“Hey Brenda had fun that night.” I teased. It’s strange but actually really nice to talk civilly- even if it is teasing him the way I punched him.

“Can I finish?” He huffed trying to contain his smile. “I want to get to know you better.”

“Why?” Usually the case wouldn’t give two damns about me. So why does he even care?

I think we’ve already established that this isn’t your ordinary case, Alex. My subconscious reminded me.

“Well you’re kind of like a mystery to me. And I’m interested as to who you really are.”

“I don’t even know.” I sighed. I know how to defuse a bomb. I know the difference between a rifle and a pistol. But I don’t know who I am.

“What do you mean?”

“You see, I spend so much time being other people that I havent even discovered who I am. I never got to do things normal teens did. They were having sleep overs while I was learning how to track computer currents and self defense.” I didn’t even mean to say so much but it kind of… spilled out of me. Usually I wouldn't even tell them anything about me.

“Oh.” He frowned. “Maybe you should stop being whoever and try start discovering who you are.” He kept his eyes on the road but his words made me feel motivated to drop everything and go find that girl that is Kayla.

“Yeah it’s not that easy. How do I even do that?” Strangely this conversation took an interesting turn.

“Well when you’re a teen, you’re reckless and stupid. It’s the time to make ridiculous mistakes and wake up to killer hangovers in the mornings and swear to not go drinking again, only to go to a party that night. It’s about having different relationships, getting your heart broken. Making friends and losing friends. Being a teen is one of your most fragile years, that’s when you find yourself.But the party scene isnt for everyone. Some people find themself in a library or at home working in the garden. Everyones different. ” He surprised me with such an intake on this.