Chapter 8: Warden 12

Alex's POV:

"So Alex where are you from?" Anne asked as she ate a forkful of food as my mind flipped through Alex's profile.

"I was born in Texas and lived there for a couple years" I said.

"Oh that's lovely! I've always wanted to go there. Have you studied or are you studying?" Geez Anne was full of questions but in a sweet way.

"Uhm I'm studying journalism but more the writing part." I smiled sheepishly.

True. I've always wanted to study journalism and I've been secretly taking online classes in my spare time which seems like never. I'm not really one for reporting politics and that jazz but more the creative writing part. Writing is like my secret obsession.

"Alex love, I'm going to go now. Work awaits for me" Pattie smiled at me.

"Yeah alright bye mom" It felt weird calling her my mom. Even though I consider her my step mom it's kind of weird. I dont exactly know the meaning of a mom because of her.

Anne was so kind and sweet and full of questions. I'm still a bit sceptic about her face I can clearly see something being covered up... Well obviously it wasnt clearly visable to normal people.

I have worked with so many people who covered themselves up.

"Agent K err Alex I hope you find your new room comfortable. It's right next door to the boys, if you need anything from them" Simon waved me and Harry off. His car zoomed passed us and we were once again in a tense silence.

During the whole dinner I couldn't help but notice Harry always staring at me when I would speak to Anne. I couldn't exactly read the look on his face... and that's saying a lot coming from me.

"So you're leaving me with those 4 freaks then?" Liam nudged my arm. It was actually really great to have a friend to talk to.

"I'll just be next door" I laughed.

"Maybe we should have a sleepover! And maybe actually start that game of truth or dare hey?" He smirked.

"You know... I've been here for two days and I've barely started with work. Speaking of work don't you have any?" I asked him as he plonked himself on the couch of my new room.

"Nah we're on a break. We're only in Miami for a couple days then we move to the next state." He shrugged it off.

As much as I am used to travelling I've always been back and forth to the typically same places. The most exotic place I've been in was Durban in South Africa. And may I say that was one of the most beautiful places I've seen- great beaches.

"Where to next?" It only dawned on me now that I would travelling with the boys now for god knows how long...

"New York! So amped!" I could just see the way he talked about his job he completely loved it.

"Cool.." I smiled. "I'm going to get some work done and we can have that sleepover and whatever later?" I offered.

"Yeah sure! I think Niall might wanna come... and Louis... possibly Zayn and probably not Harry" He sheepishly smiled.

"Of course" I rolled my eyes. "Now Leave Payne!" I joked but he got the idea.

I'm still a bit baffled as to who this person could be I mean it's starting to get a bit personal.

Remember in fifth grade when I cut one of your curls off? I still have it.- Fangirl

It's almost as if this person wants to get caught by adding personal things like this. When I tried to retrace the email it came up with the same thing

Warden 12

Bloody hell why are fangirls so confusing... wait a minute.

I remember that from a previous case I read over. Warden 12 was a hospital\mental assylum for kids that have become addicted to the internet and technology. When their parents would threaten to take away their devices and such they would kill them... literally kill them.

So I'm probably dealing with some crazy psychopath kid. Great.

"Harry?" I asked as I walked into the boys' room.

"Yes?" He frowned at me

"Do you remember anyone who cut you hair before? I mean like in class or something?" I raised an eyebrow. "It was one of the emails... I have a lead but it is most unlikely well I hope." I gulped.

"No.. so much has happened since then.." He frown deepened as he looked to the floor. "So what's the lead?" His green eyes looked at me like an eager puppy.

"Classified" I said quickly and walked out the room.

I called Pattie right away. This may be a lead but this is serious.

"Pattie! We're dealing with a psychopathic kid!" I hissed in the phone in my room.

"What have you gotten so far?" She was calm and it was irritating me.

"Warden 12" was all I had to say when I knew my call was being heard by others.

"Agent K" Another voice said "Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes probably maybe I don't know! But every time I trace the email it comes with this encryption. It almost seems to easy but in the encryption I worked out the Warden 12 but there's other numbers that could possibly be clues." I said and I heard a few murmurs in the backround.

"And what may those numbers be?" a lady asked.

"40 74 2014 03 07" I recited as I looked at my computer screen.

"Those numbers possibly mean something. Get on it. Good work Agent K you tell us if you find anything we will do the same." Pattie dismissed me and the line went dead.

Well at least it's a start. I knew those numbers meant something. That's just what an encryption does... there's a secret message of some sort that you literally have you twiddle your thumbs over.

Knock Knock Knock

"Come in" I hollered.

"Ready for that sleepover?" Liam laughed.

"Uhm yeah. But isn't sleepovers like a girl thing? I mean in movies and stuff...." I trailed off.

"Well it's fun! Anyways Niall is bringing movies and food and all that so he'll be here soon." Liam said

"Gee Liam you make it sound like he's miles away meanwhile he's just next door" I said sarcastically

"Whatever!" He huffed.

It was a comfortable silence until Liam spoke.

"So who's the psychotic kid?" he whispered as if he knew this were top secret. My blood ran cold. I'm not supposed to-allowed to be sharing information on my cases.

"What are you talking about?" I played the oblivious girl.

"Oh I get it you can't tell me right? Top secret! You tell me you have to kill me" I poked my stomach and I stifled a laughed at the ticklishness.

"It's like you've known me my whole life" I rolled my eyes

"Feels like that doesn't it?" His brown eyes met mine.

"Yeah" I whispered under my breath.