Chapter 25: Numb

Ryann's Perspective

'You'll never know who the real devil is.'

His words echoed in my ears like a broken disc plaque. Never will I believe that he's pertaining to Aiden. I know I'm suppose to hate him after what he's done. But I quote what Karla said yesterday, "Hate is a deep word" she lectures me.

Speaking of which, where is that woman?

It's lunch time and Karla told me to wait for her by her locker. Which I think is not ideal because her locker is inauspiciously near the She-Devil's.

"Look who we have here, Ryann Foolish Lovegood!"

Speak of the devil.. devils, I must say. For there were four of them. Towering me in their one-foot heels.

"Been waiting for you guys." I don't know where my courage came from as I said this. I guess I have it coming anyhow. They will come at me what-so-ever I do. Either I ignore them or I acknowledge their presence, they will--

"Girls.. Girls.." She really is the ring leader. ".. leave her be."

Huh?

An angel must have touched Cynthia. I can't believe these words came out of her red lips.

"Hey Cynth, what's with--" One of them started but..

"I said.. Leave her!" Cynthia roared her and that made her silent at once.

They all but roll their eyes and followed her. Why do they even do as she say? Not that I'm not glad she told them to leave me alone but, it's just that I'm curious. If I were them, I wouldn't want anyone bossing me around, telling me what to do.

Surely, I look like a gargoyle by now. My lips can't help but part ways at what just happened.

I only manage to remember closing them when a sophomore passed by and threw a ball of paper on my direction. "Close your mouth, stupid!"

How can they call me stupid when I'm an honor student?

Another crumpled paper was thrown and I know that it's now my cue to leave.

To hell with these kids! They just love to ridicule others.

One by one, they started following me and threw piece after piece of crumpled paper at me. Poor papers, they use to be a tree. Poor tree.

I kept looking over my shoulders as if I'm being chased by a hydra. I swear these sophomores are like a hydra. Everytime I look away, I know there were just a few of them. And when I look at them again, their numbers just increase. I took a right turn and--

Oomph!

"Aw?" How stupid is that! Stupid.. I sighed. Maybe I am stupid.

"Watch where you're going.. Ryann?" I look up and saw it was Blaize. He was with other seniors. I stumbled up to my feet in a hurry as I hear the kids nearing. I pass between the gaps of Blaize and his group and run away.

Ending up at the hall to the cafeteria, I saw Karla went in. And of course, I followed. Just when I opened the two-door entrance, I was reminded of the reason why I never step foot in this area of the campus.

Unconditionally, I've never felt this great pull before. It's like I'm obliged to come and see behind..

these doors.

Everything went in slow motion as I scan the room for a black-haired girl.

You know the feeling you get when you're about to witness something awful. And just. Like. That.