Chapter 19: High-Tech Surrey

Ryann's Perspective

Monday. Another day of school and I woke up in a mess. I didn't realize that I fell asleep in the attic. Reading, as usual. Danica have been gone all day yesterday. Says she's out on a run or something. She's been distant ever since that day when he went out with Jake. It's been almost two months, what's the deal?

I am much aware that I don't have to dig so deep, so I just let her be. But seriously? She could at least tell me where she's going. I know I don't have any right to dictate her with what she should and would do and wherever she wants to go. It's just.. Concern is the word here. And who am I to her? Just a lousy housemate?

I admit that I'm scared that one day, she'd realize that I'm just not that much of an important person to her anymore. That someday, she would leave me and do whatever it is she wanted to do without my presence.

- Closing time

Open all the doors and let you out into the world

Closing time

Turn all of the lights on over every boy and every girl -

My iPhone, which never rang in early mornings like this, just did so. It's kind of surprising, so I got up from a pretty painful seat-slouching position on my half-circle couch. I yawned loudly, twisting my torso and doing some stretches.

- Closing time

One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer

Closing time

You don't have to go home but you can't stay here -

"Okay, fine!" I said, sounding defeated, as my ringtone continued.

Who the devil would phone me this early in the morning?

I went through the trapdoor and climbed down the ladder. My phone still playing my newly updated ringtone, demanding to be answered.

"Hello?" I answered, rubbing my eyes as I look away from the sunlight framed by my window.

"Finally! I've been calling you since last night."

My breath hitched. I look at the caller ID, and it reads 'Unknown'.

"My apologies sir, but I think you punched the wrong number?" I mumbled in a low monotone. I said 'sir' cause his voice is insanely sounding so manly.

What? I am a girl.

"No. I'm certain. It's Ryann, correct?"

Yup, and I don't know you, so goodbye! I wanted to say this, but because I'm am not a spiteful person, and I'm curious as who my caller is, I said, "Uhm.. Yeah." Stretching the word. "May I know who this is?"

"Oh! Sorry. I'm not a stalker. But I'd like to keep my identity unknown to you."

"Okay.." I said, stretching the word, for the second time. "I kind of want to believe you, but I can't. So goodbye!" I told him in a duh? tone. Forget about what I said of me being not spiteful.

I know it's rude to hung up on people, and it's never been part of my vocabularly. But I think better. I mean, come on! A stranger calls you at a quarter past six in the morning? When the sun had barely just came up? Who wouldn't be creeped by that?

Not a stalker huh? Defensive much? I was just asking his name. Is that unfair while he knew mine?

I threw my phone to my bed and got ready for school.