Chapter Thirty-Four: Bad Moon Rising

I screamed, hardly daring to believe my eyes as I took in his blotchy blue skin, streaked with black and bubbling and shifting like even his very cells were furious. Dried blood coated his hands, arms, and was splattered across the prison-issued uniform he was wearing. As I stood, frozen to the spot, my gaze roamed over his appearance and I felt the increased thudding of my heart in my chest, a sharp pain ringing out when I tried to suck in a deep breath. It was like my very arteries were clogged with fear, and I stifled another scream when Psycho Derek lurched forward, his claws swiping at me as he let out a growl. 

      “Chris…” Hunter whispered hoarsely, all of his anger and intoxication vanishing as his golden green eyes filled with horror and uncertainty. I glanced over my shoulder at him, and suddenly it was like somebody had hit the “unpause” button on my actions and emotions. Blood rushed through my veins, the sound overpowering my insecurities and instead leaving a hard, fierce rage in it’s place. 

“You thought you were rid of me? Thought I could be defeated so easily?” Psycho Derek hissed, slinking closer as my brown eyes locked on his bright green ones, and it suddenly occurred to me that he was some sort of supernatural creature. I didn’t know what he was, or how he was, but I knew that there was no chance in hell I was going to beat him with just my hands and feet. Brooke and Axel prepared me for this. I know what to do. 

“What are you?” I spat, all the while slowly backing away, moving farther into the kitchen and behind the island. Psycho Derek followed, and I wasn’t sure if it was the blue skin or the green eyes or what, but for some reason I wasn’t hit with a million nasty flashbacks to that night. My legs were steady, my hands calm and capable as I moved them behind my back and tried to find the knob on the kitchen drawer that held the knives.

“Who cares?” he shot back, pushing past Hunter, who seemed almost incapacitated with fear as his big green eyes watched Psycho Derek glide past him, and then he was dashing out of the kitchen with the strength and speed of a werewolf, gone before I could even blink.

“You rejected me, Chris. You fought me, and you hurt me. So I’m done playing games with you.” The words slid down my spine like icy Jell-O, slippery and gooey, as my tailbone hit the other side of the kitchen counter and my fingers grappled to get the drawer open, my eyes never leaving his. In the back of my mind, I wondered where the rest of the pack was, but for once, I wasn’t desperate for them to arrive. I can do this on my own.

“This time...you die,” Psycho Derek snarled, and I tried my best not to let it shake my resolve. I can do this. 

I finally managed to grab two of the knives, gripping one in each hand as Psycho Derek smirked and made his move. As his mouth opened, baring the fangs that I had assumed would be there, I spun past his outstretched hands, flitting behind him and sinking one of the knives into his shoulder blade. Psycho Derek let out a roar, spinning as one of his claws fumbled for the knife, and I yanked it back out, igniting another yell from him. Cut left. Make him turn. Get him to chase you. Upstairs, always go to where your gun is if you don’t have it on you. Axel’s words sounded in my mind, as loud and clear as if he were standing right there beside me, and I followed my instincts, baiting Psycho Derek all the while.

      “So how’d you do it this time, huh? Where are all my roommates?” I panted as I darted past the fridge, sliding over the island and catching Psycho Derek with the knife across his face. He snarled, one of his claws raking across the top of my shoulder as I turned and continued my way down the hall. I wasn’t scared; instead, a fierce, deep-rooted, all-consuming need to kill the bastard who had marred my life with his attack had taken over every inch of my being. Psycho Derek’s clawed hands scratched at my feet as I ran, my breath quickening as I recalled all the times Brooke and Axel had made me run for miles. Sometimes your best option is to run, Brooke had told me, and now more than ever I realized that they had been right.