Chapter Twenty-Eight: Masquerade

The rest of the week passed by in a blur; Scott, Stiles, Peter, and I worked together to try and figure out how to get Derek back to his old self, but nothing worked. It turned out that Kate had wanted Derek at the exact age he’d been when he’d still trusted her and loved her, and she’d manipulated him into trying to steal the triskelion that Derek had used to help him control his shifts. But even though that Kate had now given up on that idea, she still refused to help us turn him back or even tell us how she did it. With every day that went by, I missed Derek more and more. In the past few weeks, I’d been so caught up in my own misery over Aiden that I’d taken Derek’s nonstop comfort and adoration for granted, and now I was sorely missing it. In the mean time, I’d been catching Young Derek up on our relationship, starting with Day One, when we’d first met. It was a fun way to bond with him, and in truth, he was still Derek. I was still in love with him; he just didn’t love me.

              “So where did I leave off this morning?” I pondered as I fixed myself a cup of tea in the kitchen after school, with Derek. He wasn’t allowed outside of the house, in case anybody recognized him and raised unwanted questions about his age, so Derek had been cooped up inside for five days straight now that it was Friday afternoon. Valentine’s Day. We had had plans to go out for dinner...and I was going to give him his present. Thinking back to what I’d gotten him, I knew there was no chance in hell I could give it to Young Derek.

“I’m not sure. Why don’t you just tell me how we spent our last Valentine’s Day together?”

“Oh. Okay, sure.” Pleasantly surprised, I let my mind take me back to that day, and a small smile rose on my features as I remembered how much of the day and night we’d spent in bed.

“Well, um, it was recently after we’d started living together again. You bribed Erica and Boyd to leave the house for the night, so we could have some alone time, and uh...we sort of just spent the whole day in bed.” I blushed, hastily taking a gulp of my tea as questions and concerns plagued my mind. If he’s seventeen, does that mean that technically I’ve never slept with him? But he’s still Derek. But if he doesn’t remember it, has it technically not happened yet? And if I’m basically a stranger to him, is it cheating if I kiss him? Because staring at Derek’s thin pink lips right now as he listened to me tell him about our past sex life was seriously starting to turn me on.

“Sleeping?” he blurted naively, and I bit my tongue to keep from laughing. Oh my God.

“...not exactly.”

Oh, so we…,” Derek made some sort of obscene gesture that involved a lot of his fingers, and my face heated up even more. I avoided his gaze as I felt it run down my body, lingering for an uncomfortable amount of time on my enlarged breasts.

“Yeah.” After that, we sat there in awkward, tense silence, my pregnancy hormones luring my eyes to Derek’s oh-so-familiar green ones. They were darker than usual, filled with the thinly veiled lust that older Derek also got when he was horny. Oh no. I’m really gonna do this, I realized as the heat in my underwear grew almost unbearable.

“Oh what the hell, we’re technically married anyway,” I mumbled as my hands fastened onto his shirt and my lips crashed against his. Our kiss was hot and hungry, his lips tasting exactly the way I knew them to. Like syrup and hot sauce. I quickly dominated the kiss, Derek’s hands sliding underneath my thighs as he lifted me up and carried me to the nearest room, which happened to be one of the first-floor guest rooms. His stubble-less jaw rubbed against the sides of my face, and I let out a soft mew in disappointment. I miss the facial hair. Young Derek wasn’t as experienced and gentle as my Derek, but he sure was a hell of a lot more enthusiastic.