Chapter Twenty-Four: She's Come Undone

“W-w-what’s this for?” 

“It’s just a myth, right?”

“No. No, you...you can’t...I can’t...Aiden it’s just a myth! It doesn’t actually work!”

             “Chris? Chris, did you hear me?”

I blinked slowly once, twice, and then rotated my head slightly from where it lay nestled against my mountain of pillows. Derek’s familiar dark stubble and mesmerizing hazel green eyes swam into view as the tears dried on my cheeks and I reluctantly dragged my thoughts from that day.

“Hm?” 

“I asked if you were hungry,” he repeated slowly, but my eyes glazed over the anxiety in his.

“No.” 

“It’s been six days; you have to eat something. It’s not good for the bab-”

“I don’t give a fuck what’s good or not good for the damn baby.”

Derek’s expression morphed from one of concern to a nonplussed, mildly disgusted mixture of horror and complete shock. Without another word, he unfurled his legs and left the room, leaving the door open a crack on his way out. He had let all of the little rats running around our house convince him that if I was truly left alone, I would try to kill myself, so the door remained open at all times, along with a steady rotation of guard wolves day and night. Lucky for me, not a single one of those bastards cared one single bit what happened to me, so I usually got my privacy.

“I’m not going to kill you, Aiden! Hell, even if I could get every single thing I’ve ever wanted out of life, it wouldn’t be enough! Not without you. Aiden you are my best friend and you’ve saved me more than anybody else in the world. I owe my life to you...I’m sorry but I could never-”

“But you have to, don’t you see? There’s so much more out there for you, but me...my life was over the minute Ethan died. I don’t have redemption in store for me, Chris, at least not that kind. It would be an honor for me to die with a purpose. I want to die so that you get a chance to live! Please, Chris.”

“No, no, I can’t! Aiden, I-I love you. I jus-I CAN’T, okay?”

“You can. It’s okay, Chris. Everything’s gonna be okay,”

“Are you sure?” 

“Of course I’m sure. I love you, Christina Laymen. Make sure your daughter knows who I was, okay?”

“I love you, Aiden. And she will love her godfather just as much as I do.” 

“Thank you.”

                           “Knock knock,” a mocking voice boomed, accompanied by two loud knocks on the already-open door. Gunshots. The blue fading into brown. His open-mouthed grimace. Falling to the ground. So much noise. Screaming. Running footsteps. Blood. Seeping out of Aiden like- 

“Eah-!” I yelped when tight hands closed around my upper arms, and I flinched, the shooting pain underneath my skin jerking me out of the nightmare that wouldn’t stop plaguing my mind. Drake was standing against the wall, arms crossed and scowl firmly in place, while Stiles was kneeling on the bed beside me, his brown eyes scanning over my pathetic state with his usual hasty efficiency and wit. When Aiden and I hadn’t shown up for school, Stiles and Lydia had gone looking for us and eventually found me, curled around Aiden’s dead body in the middle of the empty field beside the bar, our clothes soaked through from the storm and Aiden’s blood mixing with the mud and rain water that ran in streams down the field.