Chapter Twenty-Seven: Pictures of You

“Who are you?” I demanded shakily, my legs threatening to collapse from the absolute terror that gripped me. He’s in the house. He knew where I lived.

“Just let me explain, please,” he said, his voice softer and less intimidating than before. Gracie’s fingers clenched around my elbow, a clear warning not to listen to him, but what choice did we have? He was already inside.

“Fine. Explain.”

“My name is Christian Davis. I think you knew my brothers.”

“Your brothers? No, I’m sorry, I don’t know anyone by the name of ‘Davis’-” 

“Not Davis. Masters. They changed their names.”

“Well, mister, I don’t know any ‘Masters’ either, so-”

“Ethan and Aiden?”

The heat flushed out of my cheeks at the mention of the deceased twins, and I staggered back a step. Ethan and Aiden had a brother?

“Come on in then,” I said much more hospitably, gesturing for him to follow me to the kitchen. Once seated, I allowed him to explain himself further, although most of my fear was gone now. No relative of Ethan and Aiden would attack us. That much I’m sure.

        “So could you back up just a sec? Yes, I did know Ethan and Aiden. But how did you find me? And how do you know my name and where I live? Also Aiden told me his parents died when he was ten. And he didn’t mention anything about another brother.” 

“That’s because I’m eight years older than Ethan and Aiden. I was already in college when our parents died, and I couldn’t come back to take care of them. That’s why they went into foster care.”  

“Okay...so now’s the part where you tell me how you found me and how you know about me.”

“Right. I was at a party a couple weeks ago at UCLA, where I go to college, when I overheard this guy next to me telling his friend about how messed up this girl who he lived with was, said her friend Aiden died. Naturally, the name sparked my interest, so I kept listening, and once I heard Beacon Hills come up, I started to worry about my brothers. So I got in my car and drove down here, but I didn’t know where they would be staying. We didn’t keep in touch very well when I left. But on the off chance Aiden had died, I knew exactly where Ethan would bury him, so I drove to-”

“The lot. Where your parents house used to be,” I mumbled in amazement, the last dregs of my worry dissolving as his words reaffirmed, above anything else, that he truly was Ethan and Aiden’s brother. 

“Yeah. And when I got there, I saw a girl standing beside not one, but two graves there. And that’s when I realized that both of my brothers were dead.”

“I’m so sorry,” I said softly, reaching out to touch his arm lightly, the despair in his eyes making my heart ache. The words I killed your brother were on the tip of my lip for the entire conversation, but I stifled them, and kept listening.

“Thank you. When I saw you there, I figured you must’ve known my brothers pretty well, and you could fill me in on what happened to them. So I followed you, but then I decided it was too creepy for me to just show up on your doorstep when you were obviously grieving my brother’s death. As I was driving away from your house, some guy ran outside and stopped me, asked what I was doing there. I told him I was looking for a redhead girl who I thought could help me out with something, and he gave me your name. So I waited a few days, and planned to approach you after school, so that it wouldn’t come off the wrong way. But then I saw you get carried into a Hummer dripping wet, so I tried to go back to my car and just give up, but lost my keys and instead had to sit outside and wait for a cab. I was just heading out to the front of the school to get in the cab when I recognized you in the parking lot, and well...you know the rest. I’m sorry that I scared you. I know this all seems so-”