Chapter Four: Temptation

The next morning, I awoke with a feeling that was completely foreign to me - I woke up feeling at peace. There were no life-threatening confrontations today, no crazy supernatural animals after my fiance and I lay back against my pillow with a contented smile plastered across my face. Derek lay, fast asleep and snoring slightly, beside me, one arm tangled around my waist and the other thrown out over the edge of the bed. I knew I had to get out of bed to go to school, but I procrastinated as long as I could, giving up my shower and probably some hair-and-makeup time to snuggle against Derek’s warm, solid body and just treasure the moment of peace. The past year-and-a-half with him had been chaotic, to say the least, but now that things had finally settled down, I was ready to live my life with Derek by my side.

“Mmm...good morning,” Derek’s sleep-clogged, throaty voice sounded in my ear, jerking me out of my thoughts. I turned into his chest, running my hand over his muscles as I scooted up and pressed my lips to his hungrily. His hand wound through my messy hair, pulling me more firmly against him as I swung one leg over his waist to straddle him. We kissed fervently for a few minutes, my skin getting hotter by the second, before I finally pulled away and rolled off the bed.

“Hey!” Derek protested, sitting up quickly and lunging after me as I ran, screaming and laughing, into the closet.

“I’ve gotta get dressed! I’m gonna be so late already…” I trailed off as Derek stalked towards me, shoving me back against a row of jackets and sweaters. His lips attacked mine once more as his hands slowly hooked around the waistband of my pajama pants and dragged them down my legs. His mouth broke away from mine, trailing down my body to plant kisses gently on the newly-exposed skin. My shirt came off too, and as I stood in front of Derek fully naked, a hot thrilling flash of excitement went through me.

                       Instead of acting on it, however, I decided to take the responsible path and turn around to grab underwear and a bra. My breathing steadied slightly once I had those on, but I was becoming more and more turned on with each second that Derek remained behind me, silently watching me dress myself. Who knew putting on clothes could actually be so enjoyable. I popped my legs into a pair of leggings and threw on a red Coca-Cola sweatshirt, deciding that comfort surpassed style today. Spinning around, I wasn’t entirely surprised to find Derek a mere few inches away from me. With a blur of supernaturally-enhanced speed, Derek scooped me up into his arms and carried me into the bathroom, much to my delight.

“Put me down, seriously,” I squealed, smacking Derek on the back until he allowed me to slide out of his arms. He was still scantily dressed in a pair of black sweatpants, and I snuck glances at him in the mirror as I dusted powder over my face and applied a quick coat of eyeliner and mascara to my eyes. Mmm he’s hot when he’s shirtless, I thought approvingly, flitting past him and back into the bedroom to grab my backpack right on cue, as a knock sounded on our bedroom door.

“Chris, we have to go. Hurry up.” It was Cora’s voice, and I hastily slid on my Converse and turned to wrap my arms around my fiance.  

“So I’ll see you tonight, at the lacrosse game?”

 “Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I’ll be there,” Derek said quietly, pressing his lips to mine briefly before I untangled myself from his embrace and flung open the door.

“See you later then.”

"I love you!" 

 “Love you!” I called, running down the stairs and rolling my eyes at the sight of Isaac and Cora already seated in the car in the driveway, scowling at me through the slightly tinted windows.