Chapter Sixteen: Homecoming

**HAPPY EASTER***

                                 The rest of the week passed uneventfully, besides the fact that Erica was nearly ready to come home, according to Deaton. Derek and I had visited her dutifully all week, and now that it was Sunday, we were giving her one last day to rest before coming home tomorrow.

“This is the last night we have alone,” Derek whispered in my ear as we cuddled on the couch, watching the new True Blood episode on HBO. Derek had cheered up remarkably in the past few days, ever since Deaton had told us that Erica would make a full recovery, both physically and emotionally. We’d brought in a specialist to talk her through her PTSD, and once she was released back to us, she would have to keep seeing the therapist for another few weeks. But she was on the road to recovery, which was all that mattered.

“I know,” I mumbled, snuggling up closer to my fiancé and smiling into his shoulder. Derek smelled heavenly, like Hot Tamales and an Abercrombie store combined, and I breathed in his scent as shivers coated my flesh in delight. Derek’s arm around me adjusted, and he scooted me more into his lap. The light from the screen illuminated his features in the otherwise-dark room, and it felt like we had all the time in the world to just sit with each other and watch TV.

“So what do you want to do?” he murmured huskily, pulling me forward and bumping his nose against mine gently. I laughed coyly, trying to tease him as I leaned closer and brushed the tips of my lips against his, just barely making contact, before I pulled back and kissed him on the cheek. But Derek wouldn’t stand for that; he reeled me in and captured my mouth hungrily, a low sound of masculine success sounding deep in his throat. I grinned against his warm lips, enjoying the passionate kiss, which somehow turned into Derek grinding his hips against mine and pressing me back against the couch underneath his tightly muscled body. 

“Couch sex?” he panted, kissing hotly down my neck and across my chest, and as my t-shirt came off, all I could do was nod.

***                                                           ***                                                     ***

                                      The next morning, Derek dropped me off at school with a promise that Erica would be home when I got back from school, which was good enough news to keep me happy through Algebra II, Pre-Calc, US History, and Physics. I’d received an A on my history quiz, but when I got to European Lit after lunch, I was handed back an essay that we’d turned in last week. I got a C? Oh my god no, this can’t be happening. After class, I went up to my teacher, who was a friendly-enough mid-thirties hippy kind of guy, to ask him about the paper.

“Hi Mr. Connell, sorry to bother you but - I just don’t understand what crucial mistakes I made to get such a low grade?” I explained, holding out my essay and smiling brightly. Sure, I was a bit of a suck-up when it came to teachers, but according to Jessie, my college counsellor, this was a crucial time in the year for colleges. If I bombed now, I would never get into NYU. Mr. Connell took the paper, skimming it over quickly before handing it back to me.

“Why, Christina, this was some of your poorest work all year. There was no message conveyed in your writing, little to no analysis of plot, and not a single bit of evidence to back up your thesis! What in the world changed in the last few weeks, I have no idea.”

                               In the past few weeks, two of my best friends were brutally murdered by people who are now after my fiancé. And then said fiancé found out I’m pregnant and accidentally killed my only-remaining best friend’s twin brother. So yeah, I’ve been a little busy.