Chapter Three: Together

Derek and I strolled back into the lunchroom hand in hand, an enormous blush encompassing my face as we resumed our spots at the table and pretended like nothing of much importance had happened. Switching seats with Isaac, I kept Derek’s hand clenched tightly in mine as I finished off the salad that I had barely touched before and finally tuned into the actual conversation going on.

“So Chris, you’re on board for talking to Aiden, right?” Stiles asked me, and suddenly I realized that we’d been discussing the Alphas, who were sure to come after Derek now that Ennis was dead. I met Derek’s shining green eyes, relishing the happiness that was reflected in them; it had been a long time since I’d seen him smile, laugh, and I would do everything in my power to maintain this relative peace that we had for now.

“Of course.”

                        The rest of lunch was spent by discussing battle tactics as well as calculating the odds that we had against the Alphas. With Ethan and Aiden still in the running, we didn’t have much of a chance. I managed to convince Cora that Stiles and I should help fight, but the idea was quickly shot down by Derek and Scott adamantly.

“No way, Chris. Kali will be out to get you anyway - there’s no reason we should give her a time and a place to target you." 

“But-”

“No. It’s final. No matter what happens, you will not fight them. Not now, not ever,” Derek announced in a tone that didn’t leave any room for arguing, before he rose to his feet and patted me on the head.

“I’ve got to get going; I have stuff to take care of now that I’m not dying and you have class. I’ll see after school.” He spoke directly to me now, lowering his voice and leaning in to brush his lips against the bridge of my ear. 

“I love you,” he whispered huskily, tilting his head quickly to plant a brief kiss on my lips before waving to the rest of our friends as he left. Even though I felt like sulking at his outright refusal to let me help, I decided there was one thing I could do that would increase their odds significantly. 

***                                                                ***                                                                  ***

                             “Hey Aiden! Hey! Wait!” I shouted as I ducked and scrambled through the throng of milling students after school, all heading in different directions. I nearly lost my balance when a massive senior guy with a bag that must’ve been full of hundred-pound weights bashed into my side, throwing me into a row of lockers and making my sore shoulder scream in pain. While my actual wounds had healed after being with Derek again, the aches were still there and my entire body felt like I’d been hit by a bus. Of course, it all disappeared when I was with Derek. Stupid soulmate witchy-voodoo crap. 

                      I finally caught up with Aiden as he was climbing onto his motorcycle in the parking lot, and my efforts were rewarded by him throwing off his helmet and grabbing me up in a tight bear hug.

“Chris! Thank god you’re okay. I tried to come see you but Cora and Monica wouldn’t even let me past the front door-”

“It’s alright. I’m fine, everything’s fine...Derek’s fine.” I peered up at Aiden’s face as his expression melted from one of joy and immense relief to one of worry and confliction. Eyebrows scrunching together, he ran a hand through his light brown hair and stalled.

“Yeah, I heard,” he finally said darkly, letting go of my shoulders and taking a step back. I pretended not to notice the way Ethan watched the two of us from his perch on his bike, his gaze paranoid and frenzied.