Chapter 18

A few days have gone by since we arrived back at the palace. The days have gone by as normal, but today was the day I had been mentally preparing for since we left my little village. My father's funeral was today. For some reason, I was not really looking forward to it. I mean, my father was obviously being put to rest, but I was nervous more than anything. I didn't know what to expect, I had never been to a funeral. My father was an only child, my mother's siblings lived far away. Both sets of my grandparents had died before I was born. 

"Here's your dress, Ms. Price," a maid said coming into my room. To be kind to my mother, I released the Malik girls to my mother for the duration of her stay. It's the least I could do for my mother. "Mrs. Malik made this for you."

"Thank you," I nodded standing up from my seat. The quiet maid waited as I redressed and fixed my hair. 

"It's a beautiful day," she mentioned as she fixed my hair. "Is it not, Ms. Price?"

"I suppose," I said glancing out the window. "How much time until Prince Harry is to come and get me?"

"Shortly," she mentioned putting some hair spray in my hair. "There, I am finished. Would you like anything else, Ms. Price?"

"No thank you," I smiled to her. She gave me a curtsy and wandered out of the room. 

The maids that I was given for now weren't as outgoing as Trish and her daughters. I enjoyed the banter between the lot of us, but since this is only temporary, I looked forward to them being back in my life. I felt that I was growing far too used to having a maid. Thoughts of life outside the palace began to flood my mind making pessimistic thoughts crawl up into my mind. 

"Emerald?" Harry's voice asked. I turned around to see him standing in my doorway with a confused look. "I called your name a few times, love. What in the world is going on in your head?" he asked walking over to me.

I looked over his all black outfit. His shirt was left unbuttoned revealing his black ink and a silver cross that hung between the two swallows on his chest. Over his black jacket, a black and white scarf hung down to his waist. A large hat was placed on his head and sunglasses were on the bridge of his nose. I also noticed his family rings were placed on his right hand.

"Just...life," I said looking up at him. "Your outfit is...interesting," I said glancing at his shirt.

"Thought I would try a new look," he said leaning down and kissing my lips lightly. "We should go, the car is waiting for us."

I picked up the bottom of my black dress up and stood up from the chair. Harry waited for me with an outreached hand. I laced my fingers through his and walked out of the castle with him. The walk through the castle was silent, both of us having nothing to say to one another. As soon as we stepped out of the palace, bright flashes of cameras began to snap taking both of our photos. It stunned me, actually.

"They know there's a royal event," he muttered. "Despite your father not being a noble or royalty, it's still a royal event as we are in attendance. Plus, the whole kingdom is intrigued about you."

"Okay," I said quietly nodding to the cameras. I didn't know what to think of the cameras, they normally aren't where I see them. Then again, I've only ever been on one side of the palace. The back garden. 

Harry opened the car door and I slid in the back seat. I noticed a driver sitting there, sunglasses placed on his face and pursed lips. I glanced over at Harry and he had a frown on his face as well. I don't know if it was because he was upset or he was just thinking about something. He sunk into the interior of the car and placed his leg up on the other resting his hands on his ankle supporting his leg.