Chapter 21

About an hour after Harry had been summoned by his father to the study, Queen Anne found me and had brought me back to the the drawing room to work on my etiquette. Queen Anne had on a black skirt and a pale pink blouse with black heels. She looked gorgeous, as always, and I envied her beauty even though Harry often told me I was beautiful. I didn't feel beautiful when I was around such beautiful women like her and Gemma.

"So today I thought we would work more on table etiquette," Queen Anne smiled swiping her skirt and holding it against the back of her legs as she took a seat in the chair. I mimicked the way she sat down and quickly fixed my hair so it only hung on one shoulder instead of the both.

"When sitting at the dinner table, make sure you maintain a good posture," she said sitting up straight. "Don't slouch over the table like my son. He's a caveman, honestly."

"I don't think he realizes he's doing it," I laughed.

"I don't either!" she laughed. "When you are sitting here, you're probably wondering what you need to do with your hands, well you can rest them on the table. However, your wrists must be balanced on the edge of the table. You can place them in your lap. Out of everything, keep your elbows off the table," she instructed waving her finger at me. "Make sense?"

"Yes," I nodded. No elbows on table, got it.

Queen Anne then went on to discuss the proper way to act towards civilians. She told me about the mistakes she had made when she first became queen. This made me nervous, I would have to meet the citizens of Ula and possibly help them in any possible way. I don't even know why this frightened me so much, but it did. It made me nervous that I would mess up as she did.

A silence had fallen over the pair of us, 

"How has your day been?" She asked as she waved over a maid with some tea. "I heard you were with Harry when his father called upon him."

"We were in the library," I smiled. "I was working on my reading in there after he left. I hope you don't mind if I left my laptop in there."

"Not at all," she smiled to me. "No one but those who live in the palace are allowed in the library so it's perfectly fine to enter. I never go in there, I think Harry is the only one who does now that I think about it. Gemma has her own collection of books."

"The library is so beautiful," I gushed to her. "I've never seen such a beautiful place before."

"Your mum said that to me just the other day. I was hoping to have lunch with her and I found her sitting in those chairs with Harry and they were both reading their books. She was saying that when she had stayed her before she married your father, she practically lived in there. She was rereading her favorite book she read while staying here," Anne smiled. 

"Mum always loved reading," I smiled remembering the books she used to read to me. "She always read us kids fairy tales when we were younger. It's the only way I got to learn about a life different from my own. I remember, as corny as this sounds, playing princess and prince with my brother Lucas."

"I used to do that with my brother as well," Queen Anne laughed. "Turns out it wasn't for nothing," she smiled. It was one of those distanced smiles like she was reminiscing about her childhood. She looked back at me with a smile.

"What?" I asked as she just stared at me.

"You remind me of myself," she smiled to me. "I think the Styles boys are into those soft spoken girls, don't you think?"

"I suppose," I said quietly. "I don't really know what type I am."

"I think you're the girl who knows what she wants," she said to me proudly. "You know what kind of guy you want and you know the future you're going to have. You have minor details set out, but the circumstances of your marriage are left for fate to decide."