Chapter 35

The next morning Robin, took me to my mum's new house. The last time I was here was after my dad's funeral. It's been a while since I saw her and I have missed her. The house had decorations set up already, the lawn mown and raked to be free from the leaves. It looked as if some other family lived here, but it was my own family. 

"Emmie!" Lucas grinned running up to me from the garage and wrapping his arms around me and swaying side to side. "It's been forever since we've seen you. What gives?"

"Lots of things," I breathed. "Harry got shot a few weeks back so it put off my coming to visit."

"Yeah, I heard about that," Lucas said. "Training was cancelled that day I think. Mum's cooking up a storm in the kitchen. I'm about to go deposit the check from your prince. We got it yesterday," he said waving the paper in front of me. "Guess what."

"What?" I asked, a smile dancing on my lips looking at my brother.

"Me and Penny are getting married," he smiled. "I asked her last week! I went out and bought the prettiest ring I could find. I took her to dinner at this fancy place, got down on one knee and she said yes. Best day of my life."

"Oh my God!" I gasped covering my mouth. "Lucas! I'm so happy for you!" I exclaimed throwing my arms around his neck and hugging him tightly. 

I was happy for Lucas, I just wasn't expecting him to be engaged when I saw him. This made me realize how much I had truly missed being away in the palace. Lucas said he did need to go so he said just to go inside using the front door. It was open.

I climbed the three steps to get onto the porch. I opened the screen door and stepped into the entranceway and slid my boots off. I left my jacket on as I was still quite cold. Mum was cooking something and it made my stomach growl. It was nice to know she kept herself quite busy since dad died.

I walked up the stairs and into the kitchen. Mum was hunched over the island with ingredients sitting on the top and her glasses on the bridge of her nose. She was reading a cookbook and wearing a soiled apron.

"Hi Mum," I said and she looked up peering over the top of her glasses. A wrinkled smile appeared on her face as she took notice. "I'm here!"

"You are," she nodded. "Took you long enough, lovey. How is everything at the palace?"

"Busy," I sighed sitting down in one of the chairs across the island. "Harry was injured so we've been tending to him lately otherwise I would have popped in."

"It's not a big deal," Mum smiled. "You're here now that's all that matters."

"What are you making?" I questioned looking over to the book she had propped open on the countertop.

"I am making lunch," she smiled. "When I am home from work I like to cook. I took off this week because your brothers were complaining about how there is no food in the house. Xander is a lovely boss, though. He lets me bring books home every week," she smiled. "I've been starting a little collection with Lucas getting married and you possibly getting married soon. Come with me," she said as she wiped her hands on a towel. I followed her watching as she pushed her glasses on top of her head.

"The house looks good," I noted seeing the subtle changes she and the others made since moving in. Little trinkets now littered the surfaces, furniture added, and items hanging on the wall now were spread around the living room. It looked more like a home than it did when Harry brought us here.

"Yeah, your brothers take me out once in a while and we find decorations," she smiled. "I just picked up the most adorable dog statue."

"Mum's obsessed with dogs," Timmy said walking into the living room. "Hey Emerald, good to see you!" he grinned wrapping me in a hug.