Chapter 46

I got dressed into some other clothes and fixed my hair into a ponytail because it's not like I would be in the presence of the king anymore. I threw on a sweatshirt and grabbed my backpack throwing some things in it including Zayn's jewelry and the book she gave me as a gift. 

I went downstairs and found mum in the kitchen sitting at the island with her computer in front of her. She was holding a cup of tea as she did whatever it was she was doing on her laptop. She turned at the sound of the squeaking in the steps. I stopped in my tracks as she closed her laptop.

"Emerald, come here," she said motioning to the seat next to her. I slowly went into the kitchen taking a seat next to her. She looked at me with tired eyes. "You have to know I'm upset with you and your actions."

"I know," I nodded folding my hands and resting them on the countertop. "I'm sorry, Mum."

"I know baby," she said and looked me over. "Are you heading somewhere?" 

"Just out," I shrugged standing up. "I'm not walking to the castle, Mum. I'm not welcome there."

"Okay," she said with a nod. "Be safe."

"I will," I nodded walked to the front door leaving.

The chilled air met my lungs captivating me. After the long day I had, the fresh air made my head clear. I crossed my arms over my chest taking in deep breaths as I walked through the village. I pulled my hood over my head hoping to conceal myself from passerby's. People knew who I was and I didn't want to explain why I was here and not in the palace. It wasn't something I felt like explaining. At least not today. 

The part of town Trish lived in was small and seemed like a tight knit community. There were young children playing out in the middle of the street. If a car passed, they would yell and scamper off to the sides of the road and wait for the car to clear. Each house had a gate in front of it. I saw a little white button, I pressed it and a doorbell noise sounded in the house.

Someone opened the front door and poked their head out. It was Trish. When she saw me, her eyes widened and a smile appeared on her face. She opened the gate and wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug. I buried my head in the crook of her ne'ck embracing her tightly.

"Come on inside, Emerald," she said closing the gate behind me. She walked in front of me and held the door open. "I hope you're hungry! I am making a curry for dinner and everyone is here."

"Thank you," I smiled. I noticed the pile of shoes by the front door, and I took off my shoes. 

Trish's house was different than what I expected it to be. The walls were a dark orange and all of her furniture had a Spanish-style feel. It felt like a homely kind of place. Photos of her family were plastered to the walls all smiles on everyone's faces. The aroma of food wafted through the air. I could practically smell the spices.

"I am going to assume everyone is in the kitchen," she laughed to me motioning me to follow her. "Are you alright?"

"I'm not quite sure," I sighed looking at her. "It really hasn't sunk in yet," I said honestly. She gave me a kind smile giving me a side hug and kissed my cheek. 

"It's going to be alright," she grinned. "Things happen for a reason! Let's go eat our feelings," she laughed pushing me into the small kitchen that was crowded with people. 

Zayn was sitting on a countertop with Perrie standing between his legs. She had small flowers stuck in her hair circling around her messy bun. The girls were all making food and there was a tall man who looked like Zayn. I assumed this was Trish's husband. 

"This is my husband, Yaser," Trish smiled motioning to her husband. "You know the rest of the family."

"Hi Emerald!" Everyone smiled. I gave a small smile to everyone as I stood in the middle of a large family business.