Chapter 5

I was awoken to a burst of sunlight coming through the thick beige drapes of my state room. Having woken up in a sudden way as that, I sat up quickly propping myself on my elbows. My eyes were kind of squinted shut as the bright sun blinded me. I saw the maids going around the room cleaning it up and laying things out.

"Morning Ms. Price," one of the women in the room said. She had a clipboard in her hand and a pencil between two of her fingers.

"Good morning," I said looking at her in a sort of daze. I had no idea who this woman was nor had I seen her before. "Who—"

"The names Priscilla Thurst," she said without a second thought. "I have your notes for the day. At precisely eight o'clock, you will join Prince Harry in his study for breakfast and your lesson until ten thirty. At eleven o'clock, you will have lunch with Queen Anne in the dining room. Following that immediately until two in  the afternoon, you will have your etiquette lessons with her. Then you will join the royal family in the throne room for hearings until four. At four, you will eat dinner in the dining room with the royal family. After dinner, you will have the evening to do as you please," she said listing off everything I was assigned to do during the day.

"Wha—"

"I expect you to understand and follow your schedule quickly, Ms. Price," Priscilla said pursing her lips together. "This is not a joke for a life, Ms. Price. Only those who can follow the schedule is right for the young prince. Ms. Malik, if you would assist Ms Price in getting dressed." She ordered as she began exiting the room.

I didn't like this Priscilla woman. There was something about her that stroked me as a kind of "off" woman. Her nose seemed to be stuck up in the air in a proud sort of manner. It was as if she thought he was better than me. True as that may be, I was the one contending to be the future Queen of Ula, no one in her family appears to be at this position. She had the chance, that I am aware of, to send a member of her family to become a potential candidate. 

I think the others noticed the look I had been giving the back of her head because they came over to me with a smile on their faces. One of the girls began to undress me from my nightgown once I stood up out of bed. They had dressed me in this gorgeous blue gown. It was a royal colored blue that hung down over my feet with gold accessories around the waist holding a see through fabric to the silky blue fabric. Gold embroidery with beads stitched in was on the bosom area. 

"Come, sit," Trish said motioning to a large desk area in front of a large mirror. I sat down in front of it. As soon as I took a seat, she began brushing through my thick hair. She took a squirt bottle and squirted at my coarse hair to get all the knots that developed overnight out of my hair. 

"Can someone make sure the curler is warm, please," she spoke softly with a rolled accent. The one where 'r's' are more prominent. I liked it, it suited her personality.

"It is, Mum," Doniya said with a sigh. "One of the first things I did." 

"Good, good," she nodded. "You don't have electricity back home, do you?" 

"No," I said with a shake of my head. "I wish we did, life would be easier."

"It would be," she nodded. "I'm going to curl your hair and make it not so thick, does that sound good?"

I nodded with a smile on my face. I watched her as she took hold of the curling iron and began winding my hair around it. I watched her in the mirror as she did this seemingly mindless action. It was all intriguing to watch, these women aid me in becoming royalty. I felt bad that I didn't know how to do much of what they had here otherwise I wouldn't require their help. 

"Your hair already looks beautiful," Trish said placing the curling iron on the desk and unplugging it from the wall. She then began twisting portions of my hair and pinning it to the back of my head.