Chapter 32

I felt a hand gently rubbing my arm up and down. My eyes fluttered open, I saw Queen Anne standing over me in Harry's hospital room. I slowly sat up careful as not to disturb Harry's peaceful slumber. I saw King Desmond standing at the foot of Harry's bed with his arms crossed and was looking at his son.

"You didn't call, we got worried," she whispered brushing her fingers through my hair pushing my jet black hair out of my face. "Everything's okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "He's got morphine so he's good."

"That's good," she nodded looking to Harry whose head was now slouched against my arm. "Where was he shot?"

"The stomach," I said. "They removed the bullet and had to sew his actual stomach. The bullet nicked it."

"My poor baby," she said placing her hand over his which he had thrown over my lap. "Des you should never have let him go."

"Anne—"

"He could have died, Des," she snapped turning to him. "Is it worth having your son killed for the sake of teaching a lesson? I don't think so. You can replace a soldier, but you can't replace your son."

"Anne—"

"We'll talk about this later," she said. "I'm here to see my son who is in the hospital because of you. Think about that and go get Emerald something to eat. Don't beckon a nurse to get it, walk yourself to the cafeteria and get her something to eat."

King Desmond walked out of the room with pursed lips. I looked over at Anne with an alarmed expression evident on my face. She caught my eyes and let out a sigh leaning back against her chair. 

"Obviously there's more going on than you and Gemma know," she whispered to me. "We're not as happy as we used to be. The arguments are endless, it's tiring actually. Divorce is highly uncommon, but it's something we're waiting to do until Harry secures his place as king."

"Divorce?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"There's no fixing an old married couple, Emerald," she sighed. "Too much has changed between Desmond and myself. He's hungry for the most powerful life, I want the people to be cared for. We're complete opposites as of now. We weren't when we met," she said sadly. "Things began to change when you came into our lives."

"Me? Why?"

"There is something between the both of you than is indescribable. The love you two have for each other is so powerful. When you move, he moves along with you. As unconscious it may be, it happens. You two aren't those lovesick teenagers I see getting married in our country. No, you two are like bonds. The positive and the negative charge come together and makes you both stronger.

It's hard to explain, I get that. But when Desmond and I were talking about you, he was adamant that you were only temporary. Within a few weeks of your being here, I knew you would be my successor. The light in my son's eyes had never been that bright. His smile reached his eyes and he was always chatting about you. I remember when he came up to me during the ball. He said, 'Isn't she just the most beautiful girl in the world, Mum? She is the most beautiful girl in this room.' I knew you weren't actually to a relationship stage yet, but I could tell he was already so in love with you. I didn't want to believe it at that time, but I knew it was true. My son had found his queen."

I could feel the tears in my eyes at her kind words. I sniffled wiping the tears from my eyes. I gave her a smile looking at her with watery eyes. She placed her hand over mine patting it gently.

"Desmond and I are nothing like you and Harry. We don't work with heaven and earth, we work between heaven and hell it seems. You and Harry bring out the best and worst in each other. This much was evident this morning when we were talking with his commander. Your tantrum was the most violent I've ever seen you. You knew something was wrong and you knew it was about Harry. How?"