I Know Someone Who'd Take Your Place

The days passed slowly. Gloomy, rainy weather kept everyone trapped in the house for the most part. It had rained for three days straight. I was relieved to wake up to sunlight pouring through my curtains. I had become painfully aware of Selena's sadness due to our close proximity. She was completely unhappy and it came off her in waves. Her smile never quite reached her eyes, unless it had anything to do with Gracie.

Gracie was her whole world. Nate was an entire different story. He had an unbelievable relationship with his cellphone and laptop. I was beginning to wonder if Selena wished she had a touchscreen. You could see how much his lack of attention hurt her. I felt bad because I was legitimately happy in my relationship. I loved Naya. She was a great girl. I felt slightly awkward around Selena. I still felt an undeniable pull, but the longing wasnt there anymore. Time had eased my pain and I had moved on.

I lifted my arms above my head and grunted. It felt good to stretch. I felt the warm body nestled against me start to stir, her bare skin brushing up against mine. I smiled at the instant goosebumps she gave me. I pushed the sheet down and exposed her back. I placed soft kisses on her bare skin and smiled when I heard her content sigh.

"Mornin' baby." She mumbled.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked.

"Perfect."

"Good. I'm going to take a shower. Shane and I are gonna have to go check on the cattle and look for any weather damage around the property." I said as drug my fingers down her back.

"Mmm Hmmm." She said yawning. "I've got to start packing anyway. I have to be back on set tomorrow."

"I'll help you when I get back." I smiled. "Assuming you're not already finished."

"Ok." She said as I kissed her softly.

I turned on the hot water and stepped under the shower head. The past few days had been interesting. I noticed the strain between Nate and Selena. They were trying to put on a show in front of everyone. I could see right through it. After I got dressed I made my way downstairs. I saw her sitting with Gracie. She looked content but as soon as we made eye contact, I knew better. She was hurting and it was pissing me off. I wanted to slap the shit out of Nate. It still hurt me to see her so lonely. She needed to feel loved. I looked around the kitchen and spotted Nate on his phone. I grabbed a glass of water and decided to talk to him.

"Hey Nate." I said trying to get his attention.

He nodded and held up a finger as he continued talking in the phone.

"No. Now." I said grabbing his cell phone and dropping it into my glass of water.

"What the fuck Dem!" He said raising his voice.

"Let's talk." I said walking outside.

"You can't just take my phone Demi. I was working. What you did was bullshit!"

"You're ignoring her Nate and its breaking her heart. You have a daughter that you barely spend time with."

"What makes you an expert on matters of her heart Demi?" He said rolling his eyes. "She's fine. She would tell me if there's a problem."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean Nate?"

"What?" He asked waving his arms.

"What you said about me being an expert on matters of her heart."

"You tell me Demi. I've seen the way you fucking look at her. Is there something you want to say to me? You seem awfully concerned."

"Because you are my brother, I will forgive you for that. Once." I yelled at him. "If you ever speak to me like that again, we are not family." I said as tears stung my eyes. The guilt was almost suffocating.