I Die Each Time You Look Away

A/N: The name of the song that Demi sings is called "Rain" it's by Breaking Benjamin.

Once Nate and I had returned from our honeymoon, it was business as usual. He returned to work at the firm, and I resumed my photography. I was anxious to get all the pictures I had taken over the summer developed. I hadn't really spoke to Demi since that day in her room at the ranch house. I didn't really expect to either. I know she probably felt like I was toying with her and leading her on. Sometimes I wondered myself. What was it that I hoped to get from her? I still didn't know. There wasn't a single thing I could say that could justify what I have done. The only thing that I know with an absolute certainty is that when I'm with her, I feel more alive than I have ever felt. It was addicting and I wanted more.

The weeks passed by and I fell into a steady routine with Nate. He worked constantly and I was alone. It seemed like the only time we were together is when he stuffed me into some ridiculously expensive dress and paraded me around at some fancy function hosted by his firm. He was trying to leave an impression and make partner. Judging by the looks I got, I was guessing I was his trophy wife. I felt so out of place in his world. It never used to be like this. I suppose marriage changes things a bit. As his wife, it was expected of me to attend these gatherings. Honestly, I was miserable. Everything was just dull in comparison to her. I heard my phone, and went to check who it was. Demi had sent me a text. I quickly opened it and smiled when I read it.

If you were here right now, I would make you breakfast. Never mind the fact that it's 4 in the afternoon. I'd also insist that you eat it in bed. Naked.

I hadn't talked to her in forever. It was funny that she would send something like this. I decided to text her back.

In your dreams. ;)

Every night. Do you ever think about me Sel?

Honestly? Yes. All the time.

Same. I'm not sure what it means, but I kind of like it.

I'm surprised to hear from you. It's been awhile. I noticed you've made some new friends.

Naya? Haha! Are you jealous?

No. She's really pretty though.

We're just friends. I promise. Why does it even matter? Last time I checked you were married and we weren't in a relationship.

Someone is feeling a little feisty. I wasn't trying to provoke you.

That last text came across a lot more harsh than I meant. I was smiling when I wrote it if that changes the context.

It's fine. I'm smiling as well.

Your smile is beautiful Sel.

I miss you. Is it ok for me to say that?

Yes.

I wanna see you Dem.

You will soon. I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks. Can I ask you something?

Of course.

Don't tell Nate I'll be in town.

Why?

Because I'm not going to be there for any reason other than to see you.

I shouldn't have married him.

I know.

And just like that, the conversation was over. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to talk to her. I could feel my motives and my feelings starting to shift. I wanted more of her. I was lonely and Nate was never around. I needed someone. I was slightly startled when Nate walked into the room.