Someone Should Have Warned Me

As we drove toward the house, I was nervous. He gave me a warm smile and squeezed my hand.

"Relax." He said softly. "They're going to love you." He added.

I smiled and let out the breath I had been holding. He had proposed to me a week ago. Without hesitation, I said yes. He was everything I wanted. Handsome, kind, patient. He was just perfect. Now that we were engaged, he wanted me to meet his family. I was excited and nervous. He always talked about his family and I knew he loved them very much. As we pulled up to his family home, I could see his eyes light up. He quickly opened the door and exited the vehicle. I watched as he jumped into the arms of a rather scruffy looking dark haired man. They shoved each other and laughed. I carfully stepped out of the car and smoothed my clothes. He drug what I assumed to be his brother over to meet me.

"Hi. I'm Shane." He said smiling warmly and extending his hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Selena." I said as I took his hand in mine and returned the smile.

I could feel the hard callouses on his palms.

"This knucklehead has told me a lot about you." He said grabbing Nate and ruffling his hair.

"Where's Demi?" Nate asked looking around as he pushed his older brother away playfully.

"You know how she is, wild as the wind." I heard another voice say from the front door.

I watched as an older man made his way toward us. His hair was dark like Shane's and Nate's. I assumed that he was their father. He was tall and looked very sturdy. He walked over to Nate and wrapped him up in a tight hug.

"It's good to see you son." He said smiling. "This must be Selena." He stated as he took my hand in his.

"Yes." I answered with a smile.

"My name is Steve." He said.

I immediately noticed the mischievous sparkle in his eye.

"I'm so happy to meet you." I tell him. "Nate talks about you guys all the time."

"It will be nice to have another woman around the house." Steve smiled. "You're staying for the summer?" He asked.

"Yes." Nate said smiling at his father. "I figured it would allow everyone to get to know each other before the wedding."

"I'm looking forward to it." I chimed in.

"I'm gonna head inside and help Connie finish up supper. I'll see you in a bit sweetheart." He said to me. "Nate." He said as he pat him on the back and headed into the house.

"Hey look!" Shane pointed out towards one of the pastures. "Here she comes." He added with a sideways grin.

I looked in the direction he was pointing. It was the first time I ever saw her. She was riding a horse full speed behind a herd of cattle. I watched as she leaned forward in the saddle and slapped the horses hindquarters with her reins. Her long brown hair flowed behind her. A wide brimmed cowboy hat was perched on top of her head.

Shane quickly ran over to one of the pens and opened the gate. I could feel the ground thundering under my feet as she drew closer with the herd.

I watched as Nate and Shane directed the cattle to the entrance of the pen. They all went through the opening and as quickly as it all happened, it was over.

I watched as Nate walked over to the woman perched on the horse. She immediately jumped down and wrapped her arms around him, lifting him off the ground and shaking him.

"Little brother!" I heard her exclaim loudly. "You're still as ugly as I remembered!" She teased him as she let him go.

She had one of the most amazing smiles I had ever seen. I frowned as I realized that my camera was still packed. I made a mental note to get it out of my luggage as soon as possible.