The Closer You Come The Weaker I Get

It had been two days since the confrontation in Demi's bedroom. I was angry with her. She continued to be aloof and difficult. I still caught her looking at me. It was different now. She wasn't just undressing me with her eyes anymore. There was more to it. She had a longing in her eyes that cut to my core. I was afraid to get too close to her. Nate would be home in a couple of days and I honestly couldn't wait. I missed him and spending all of this time alone with Demi has left me feeling vulnerable.

I watched her as she walked toward the house from the barn. I lifted my camera and snapped a couple of pictures. She seemed distracted. I watched as she suddenly changed direction and walked over to her truck and pulled a bottle of Jack Daniels from behind the seat. She unscrewed the lid and drank the entire bottle without stopping for air.

"Jesus Christ." I whispered as I watched her throw the bottle in the back of her truck and walk back toward the barn.

I watched as an older model ford truck pulled to a stop in front of the barn. I saw a Native American male climb out of the driver side and shout. He held his arms out and I watched as Demi ran right into them. He lifted her off the ground and spun her in a circle. It was the first smile I'd seen on her face in almost two days. Once he released her, I could hear them talking excitedly to each other. I watched as he went over to the truck and brought out a long narrow box and handed it to her. She sat it down on the trucks hood and removed the top.

"Get the fuck out of here!" I heard her exclaim.

"You like it?" He asked grinning.

"Fucking A! I love it!" She said hugging him again.

I watched as she pulled out a rifle. It looked old. She admired it for a few moments before placing it back in the box and heading toward the house. Her friend followed.

"Hey dad!" She called out as she climbed the front steps. "Benji is back!" She added.

She paused when she saw me. I saw her sway slightly. I was pretty sure the alcohol had finally hit her. She continued to stand directly in front of me and stare. Without warning, she kneeled down and took my hands in hers. My whole body responded to her touch. Her brown eyes were staring into mine intently. I could tell she wanted to say something. Her father and friend stared uncomfortably from the door.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

I felt her thumbs lightly stroking the backs of my hands. She released one of my hands and brushed her fingertips across my cheek. I felt a slight tug as she threaded her fingers through my hair.

"You are so beautiful." She said.

"Demi. Enough." Her father grumbled. "Come inside."

She immediately stood and disappeared into the house. Steve narrowed his eyes at me before following her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't get your name." Benji said to me.

I cleared my throat. "It's Selena." I told him as I took his extended hand.

"I'm Benjamin. Most people just call me Benji." He explained.

"It's nice to meet you." I smiled.

"Likewise." He said as he disappeared into the house.

I spent the rest of the day avoiding her. Every time she touched me, I felt weaker. I began to question if I actually wanted to marry Nate or not. This shouldn't be happening. I loved him, but I was beginning to question if it was enough. Every time I looked at Demi, my heart ached.

"You've been avoiding me." She said from the doorway.

"Well, you're a jerk." I answer.

"I know." She said. "I have a tendency to do that sometimes." She said as she sat down next to me.