This Type Of Thinking Could Do Us In

As I walked back into the house, I knew I was in deep shit. I shouldn't have kissed her. She's marrying my little brother. What the hell was I thinking? I slammed the door as I entered the house and stomped upstairs to my room. I threw myself into my bed and let out a shaky breath. I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do. The second I saw her, it was like a fire ignited in my chest. She was mesmerizing. I literally couldn't take my eyes off of her. I knew it was wrong, but I wanted her badly. Frustrated, I kicked off my boots and climbed into my blankets. I didn't even bother getting undressed. I drifted into a dreamless sleep and before I knew it, the sun was peeking through my curtains.

I stumbled out of bed and got into the shower. Shane and I had to fix a damaged fence today and quite honestly I welcomed the distraction. I came out to here to get away from my problems in LA, not make more.

"Mornin' shithead." I said to Shane as I walked into the kitchen.

He lightly shoved me as I passed by.

"You ready to do some real work?" He asked with a smirk.

"If you're implying that I don't actually work for a living, I'm gonna whoop your ass Shana." I said to him, purposely referring to him as a girl.

"Someone's extra grumpy this morning." He said laughing.

"No, you're just stupid." I said with a smirk. "Come on. Lets get going." I said.

As I turned around, I ran right into Selena.

"S...sorry." She stammered, as she grabbed a hold of the counter to balance herself.

I could tell she was extremely nervous.

"It's ok. It's my fault. I wasn't paying attention." I said, touching her arm lightly.

She immediately pulled it away.

"Are you hurt?" I asked.

"Umm, no I'm fine. I just need..."

"Well this super awkward." Joe interrupted with a grin.

"Fuck off." I grumbled. "Let's go." I said as I moved past Selena to walk outside.

I went into the stables and grabbed a halter for my horse. I could hear Shane behind me doing the same thing. Once we had our horses ready to go, we rode off toward the ridge line.

"So what was that all about?" He asked me as we rode side by side.

"What?" I said shrugging.

"You know what? She looked like she couldn't wait to get away from you." He said raising an eyebrow.

I reached over and knocked his hat off his head.

"It's nothing." I answered. "I don't think she likes me much." I said with a smirk.

"We'll I can't even imagine why. You're so warm and welcoming." He teased as he rolled his eyes.

"Can we just drop it?" I asked him.

"Aww, poor Demi is all butthurt." He said in a whiny mocking tone.

"Dude, there are literally no witnesses out here and I have a gun..." I warned.

He laughed and we continued to ride in silence.

Once we made it to the damaged fence, I got down off my horse to inspect the damage.

"Damn." I said. "He tore the shit out of this fence."

"Yup. It's fucking mangled." Shane said from his horse. "Like most of your relationships." He added laughing loudly.