Segment 49

Hey guys this is the second last chapter of my book and the longest. I am sure you are all wanting to know about Tris's past so here it is. If you like it remember to give it a vote xx

I feel the blood rush from my face as I look at him for the first time in weeks. He hasn't shaved for a bit and he looks tired, his eyes red. I must look like a mess myself.
"Tris."
"Tobias."
For a moment we just stand there like fools. Who will break the silence first?
"How can I help you?" The coldness in his voice hurts really badly and I look down at my feet.
"Nothing. I have to go." I turn away but his fingers dig into my wrist, pulling me back.
"Why did you come Tris?" He asks sternly.
"Can I come in?' I gulp and he nods, letting go of my wrist. He takes me inside and I make a note to not sit on the same couch but he sits beside me anyway. His presence, being so close, seems foreign and strange. I hate that feeling.
"So?" He turns to me, his blue eyes melting into mine.
"I know this probably won't change anything but I want you to know the truth." I announce. The shock on his face is clear but I can tell he tries to hide it as he nods.
"It all started..." Pictures flash through my mind and I gasp.
"Tris?" He asks cautiously. "You don't have to."
"Yes I do. You deserve to know." I suck in a deep breath. "It just brings back so many memories I have been trying to forget."
"You have to face those memories Tris before they ruin you." He points out and I nod.
"It all started on my 16th birthday..."

~~~FLASHBACK~~~
"This pub sucks." I slur. We had to get a fake I.D to get in here and it wasn't even worth it. I am drunk off my feet but just enough to not fall unconscious.
"Yeah it does. Let's go back to my place and I'll give you the best birthday of your life." Leighton nips at my ear and I giggle as he picks me up in his arms.
"We're coming too!" Megan supports Jake and Cooper as the lean on her. She is the only one out of all of us who isn't extremely high.
When we exit the pub, the streets are dark and there aren't any cars on the road. It seems oddly deserted. I pull out some of the green and black pills from my pocket and pass it to Meagan.
"I can't Tris." Worry overcomes her expression.
"Please. For me. It's no fun without you." I pout. She takes the pills from my hand and swallows them. Within minutes she is as high as the rest of us as she keeps taking the pills. I don't stop her. She can have as many as she wants. This is my birthday and I want everyone to have a fun time like I am.

~~~PRESENCE~~~
"I can't." I burst into tears. "I can't say anymore."
Tobias hushes my sobbing by taking me into his arms and I climb onto his lap. He hugs me tightly and plays with my hair. "I love you so much." He whispers and my sobs seem to calm down.
"We were on the street and the lights came out of nowhere." I sob.
"Lights?"
"The car. The car lights."

~~~FLASHBACK~~~
The car lights came out of nowhere and I heard the honking too late. I feel something hit me hard and as I fall, the wind is knocked out of me. For a moment I just lay there, trying to catch my breath. Leighton's arms are wrapped around me. He must have pushed me out of the way.
"Your head!" He reaches up to wipe away blood from a gash in my forehead.
"It's fine." I whisper, trying to make sense of what just happened. Ahead of us, the black car stops and a woman steps out. She runs up to us, fright and worry covering her features.
"I'm so sorry! Are you okay? I didn't see you." She wails. "Thank goodness you aren't badly hurt. I couldn't live with myself if that had happened."
"You nearly killed her!" Leighton snaps and the woman's eyes travel to the road. She screams so loudly that the sound leaves my ears ringing. My vision is shaky and my head throbs. Everything is going too fast for me to process it all.
I follow her eyes to the road and I too scream. I jump to my feet, ignoring the ache in my body. Blood is everywhere and in the middle of the pool is Meagan, dead and lifeless. Her body is twisted into all sorts of strange positions and her eyes are clouded. I fall to my knees beside her, her blood soaking my pants as I scream and cry. I try to put her back together helplessly. Her blood covers my hands and I wail in pain. No. Not my best friend. This is all my fault.
Leighton's arms wrap around me as he pulls me away from her limp body and I ick and scream, trying to get free.
"Meagan!" I scream.

~~~PRESENCE~~~
I can't take it anymore. I am on the floor, crying my eyes out. The sheer memory is like a knife stabbing me over and over. The pain in my chest stops me from breathing and my sobs are sloppy.
"Tris!" Tobias sits beside me, trying to break me out of my crying fit.
"It's all my fault Tobias. It is all my fault."
"It isn't Tris."
"Yes it is! A week later, that woman who crashed into us killed herself and my parents put me into rehab! Rehab! I felt like a fucking phsyco but I guess I am! The nurses helped me try to hide the memories and it worked until now." I cry and his arms wrap around me.
"I'm here. It's okay, I'm here baby." He coos and I sob into his chest.
"Do you hate me?" I have to ask. I couldn't stand it if he did.
"Of course not. It's my turn to tell you now. I hid my identity from the others because I used to know them. My ex-girlfriend died too when I was with them and I hated myself for it. I thought it was my fault but the truth is, you're just going to have to find a way to forgive yourself."
"It happened to you too?" I ask in disbelief.
"Yes and if you'll come back to me, I will make sure it never happens again to either of us."
"Of course I will come back." I kiss him.