Segment 33

Tobias's POV
Out of all the places I never expected I would come here again. The house is messy, clothes lie everywhere and cobwebs hang from the walls. I can just imagine my mother seeing this now. She would rush around trying to clean everything in pure horror. I think the slightest smell of dust would make her faint.
"Where are we?" Tris's father asks as he coughs.
"This was my home before we lost my mother." I try not to think about it as I explain. "My father and I then left for afgahnistan."
"Why did you never sell the place?"
"She left the house for me and my father was angry at her. I never had the heart to sell it. I know she always had loved me more than her own husband." That was true. My mother did not know the man my father was until it was too late. I'm so glad she is no longer tormented by him even if she did leave us... Leave me. The pain makes me want to go into a corner and cry like I used to when I was young and then my father would give me a beating and tell me to be stronger.
"And how does this house help Tris?" He asks rather impatiently.
"Well all phones have an ID. I plan to track hers."
"And if they took her phone?"
"They probably still have it on them. I can track her phone and we can get there before they reach Yellow Bridge." I explain. I walk into the study, climbing over bricks that have fallen from the wall. This place is like one of those haunted houses you see in movies and it only brings back memories. My father's grand bookcase is still in place though some of the books have fallen to the ground. His desk is covered in dust and, to my relief, the computer is still in tact. I'm even more happy when the computer starts. I wipe the screen to get rid of some of the dust while Tris's father takes a seat in my father's old chair. I used to sit there and watch him work when I was a kid.
"How can you find the ID? Do you even know how?"
"My father was a high ranking soldier in the army. I have a few tricks up my sleeve." I begin to work away busily at the computer. I look down at my watch to see it reads 10:30pm. We have one and a half hours left to find Tris. I have to hurry.
"How long will this take?"
"Just another... Got it!" I sigh in relief as a map shows up on the screen. Her father joins me as we look at the map in shock.
"They're in the old Fernbrick mine. I worked there when I was a kid."
"Didn't that place shut down?"
"It did. Which means they are hiding out there. Who would search for kidnappers in an old mine after all?" He has a point.
"Let's go. Can you call the police to meet us there?" Her father is already pulling out his phone and we rush for the car.

When we arrive at the mine, the police are already there. I run to catch up to them as they rush into the mine, guns in their hands. We run through the endless mine, not really sure where we are going. I run beside the sheriff who leads the group.
"Are you sure this is it kid?" He asks me.
"Positive."
"They could have put her phone in here to screw with us." He points out. It is a possibility but I'm hoping Tris's kidnappers are stupid, high teenagers who don't know what they are doing. I still can't imagine anyone hating or wanting to hurt Tris as much as they are now.
The sheriff signals for us to stop running and we all come to a stop. I can hear a familiar noise coming from ahead but I can't seem to make it out. The police raise their guns, pointing at the tunnel ahead as bright lights come into view. That's what it is. That's the sound of an engine. It's a car.
As it nears I recognize it as a van and I bet Tris is in there. The van comes towards us at a high speed and there is not enough room for us to move away from it. The entry to the mine is too far back. I stare at the sheriff for help but he seems lost to. The van will run us over. We can't get out.