You've Never Been To Keaton

//Miles//

"V! Take a deep breath!" Beckett exclaims, trying to calm his panicking girlfriend. The qualifying rounds are taking place today and the top ten from each of the five competing schools will go to finals. V and Beckett are dressed and warmed up, and I've gone through all of my sound checks.
"Is she gonna be okay? We're scheduled in like, ten minutes," I say in concern. Beckett rolls his eyes,
"She's fine, she does this before every performance, she works herself up and prepares for the worst, and then goes on stage and kills it," Beckett replies. V gives Beckett a look of agitation, pausing her line of pacing.
"Didn't your mom tell you? The Juilliard scouts from our dance intensive are coming to watch our performance today!" V tells him. Beckett raises an eyebrow.
"So?" He asks.
"So? Juilliard has been my dream school since, forever! This could get us a scholarship! Or early admission," V exclaims.
"I'm aware V. Just calm down, and dance," He tells her, walking into the hallway. We follow behind, but as soon as we emerge, a girl with long brown hair approaches with two other blonde girls.
"Well, well, well, if it isn't beauty and the beast. Weird, I always thought the beast was a prince in disguise. Guess not," the girl sneers. I cross my arms. If this girl wants a go at V, she's gonna have to go through me and Beckett.
"Well, well, well, if it isn't the evil step mother, and the ugly step sisters," V retorts. The brunette scowls.
"I just wanted to give you my condolences ahead of time on taking second to us," the girl says, gesturing to her companions. V rolls her eyes.
"We're not even competing against you today, divisions are based on school because they knew Keaton would destroy the other schools. Now why don't you run off and figure out how the IMADs work. And find some better insults while you're at it. Beckett, Miles, let's go," V snaps. And just like that, any anxiety V was feeling about our performance is gone.
"Savage," I comment as we make our way to the auditorium.
"She's been trashing the Primas all week," V grumbles. Beckett rubs her back to ease her distress.
"Miles! You're group is on in five," Mr. Park tells me when we enter. I nod in acknowledgement. Beckett, V and I make our way to the wings and watch as a group of art students shift the stage from the act before to our set. Fairy lights are strung from floor to ceiling every few feet, and a projector at the front of the stage projects images of swirling stars.
"It's gorgeous," V whispers.
"We better get ready," Beckett tells us. I nod in agreement. V hops around a bit, shaking her arms out. Beckett laughs at her as he stretches. I grab my guitar and plug it into my amp before strumming a few test chords.
"You three ready to go?" Mr. Park asks walking up to us.
"Whenever you are," V tells him. With a smile and a nod, Park disappears into the audience. I walk silently onto a small raised platform in the center back of the stage and adjust the mic. My eyes drift over to V and Beckett, waiting in the wings. Beckett nods and V gives me a thumbs up. My eyes drift back and lock onto the judges table. I strum the first chords and Beckett and V appear on stage as I begin to sing.
"Just another night full of stars
No harm, no foul, no broken hearts
Feels like we're the push we can fly,"
V nails her first jump and I silently applaud her.
"Then I will stay up until the morning light,
I will crash land at your house then carry you back to mine
We can fly over the city
We can do this thing right,"
From what I can see, the judges look impressed with the lifts Beckett is able to perform.
"As long as the night's full of stars wherever we are
As long as the night's full of stars, woah
Just another night full of stars."
As soon as I sing the last note a weight I didn't even know was there is immediately lifted. The audience begins to applaud, and after a few moments, the entire room is standing. The moment the lights go out, we all run back into the wings.
"Guys we did it!" V squeals, pulling me and Beckett into a hug.
"Nice job," Beckett tells me as we do 'the shake'.
"You too man," I reply.

Word Count: 788