A Force To Be Reckoned With

//Vanessa//

"Okay. One week to pull together an entire new performance. It's fine we got this," I say as I pace back and forth in the studio as Beckett and Miles sit watching me.
"Oh, and you know what else? I looked at the rest of the qualifying list, and that brat from ASA? Her trio qualified. And by the way, apparently her name is Luci. As if this couldn't get any more stressful!" I continue to rant.
"Well if you're done panicking, I wrote a new song we can use," Miles announces. I stop mid pace.
"Why didn't you say something before I started my rant?" I demand. Miles shrugs.
"It's kinda funny watching your meltdowns," Miles responds. Beckett nods in agreement.
"I booked studio time with my mom on Thursday and Friday," Beckett adds.
"And Azadeh said that she'd have her crew start working on costumes and sets for our group as soon as we tell them what we want," Miles tells us. I glare at the two boys sitting in front of me before whacking them both with my point shoe.
"Violence doesn't solve problems V!" Beckett chastises. I ignore him.
"Anyways! I just wrote a song. It's called blink, and I think it'll be perfect for our performance. I wrote it last night, and it's basically about living in the moment and not missing your life. Just cause like, I'm going to Berklee full ride so I feel like I don't want to focus so much on the future that I miss the rest of high school," Miles tells us.
"Sweet. Can we hear it?" Beckett asks. Miles nods.
"Yeah, it has more of a hip hop vibe to it though, I feel like since we did a lyrical style for qualifiers, we should mix it up, so it's a little different," Miles warns, pulling out his laptop. He opens what looks to be a few tabs before pressing play on his recording.
"Sunshine it comes and it goes away,
These lights and these colors will die someday,
But for now I'll keep fighting cause you're with me,
Let's live in our story not history,
I won't let go, if you won't let go,
Live for the ride,
Don't close your eyes,
Try not to blink tonight,
Try not to blink," the beat drops and you can see all the different sounds waves combining on the screen of the laptop.
"That's so sick," I tell him.
"I like it. I feel like we could do a contemporary style until the beat drops and then switch it up into hip hop. It'll definitely be different, but if our technique is perfect, it could definitely be what we need to take our routine to the next level," Beckett says.
"Yeah, especially because hip hop isn't something you see very often from Keaton. Classic studio versus street," I add. Miles snaps his fingers.
"What if, one of you danced exclusively hip hop, and the other did exclusively ballet. It could be like a battle. A metaphor for future and present," Miles says, expanding off of Beckett's and my ideas.
"Yeah! I like that! And Beckett's hip hop moves are totally sick," I agree.
"And V is the best ballet dancer at the school," Beckett adds.
"And what if, for presentation, the stage is set up like the dance studio, with mirrors along the sides, and bars, and there's a sound box in the middle. Miles will walk on first, into the sound booth, and act as if he's recording a new song. Then Beckett and I will come on stage, and leave before the song ends so it's kind of like we're just figments of your imagination. It gives you more of a character part in the presentation, and I feel like it helps portray the idea of Miles being torn between present and future," I say.
"Perfect. I'll contact the art department, if you two work with Azadeh," Miles responds.
"Deal," Beckett agrees.
"Okay, you need to play that song again, if we start now, we can have a routine ready and perfected for Helsweel by Thursday," I tell them.
"Okay so V, you should come on first with 'sunshine it comes' with maybe an off balanced turn?" Beckett suggests.
"Okay."

Word Count: 718

AN: Hi guys👋🏽 Just wanna say thank you so much for commenting and voting on my story. I love all of the positive encouragement and it really makes my day:) love you all!!💙