Picnic Tables

//Vanessa//

"I am so, so glad it's Friday!" I exclaim as I walk out into the quad with C, Sasha, and Jenna.
"A-greed!" Sasha replies as we turn the corner. Our ears are immediately filled with blaring hip-hop beats. I look around to see a boy in a brightly colored polo dropping the beat on a picnic table, Miles is sitting next to him.
"Yo, that's Jax! His beats, are totally sick," Sasha exclaims. We run over to him and drop our bags on the table. Sasha immediately jumps up on the table with Jenna.
"Hey Jax, hit us with something crazy man," Sasha says. Jax hits a few buttons on his computer and Sasha instantly begins dancing. I wave at Miles, and do the only sensible thing. I grab C by the hand and pull her up onto the picnic table across from them. One of the best things about Keaton is that if kids decide to use the court yard as a stage, nobody blinks an eye. A crowd quickly begins to form and other dancers begin to join us as well. The Streets have all graduated and I miss dancing with them, but this is still a pretty close second.
"Ay yo V! Dance off!" Sasha shouts with a wide grin.
"Bring it!" I reply with a laugh. We jump off the tables to meet in the middle and I lose myself in the music.
"Go Vanessa, go Vanessa!" C begins to chant. Miles joins in too as the crowd begins to cheer. Eventually, Sasha raises his hands in mock surrender. I laugh and pull him into a hug.
"Hey, let's go," a voice says behind me. I turn around and am surprised to see Beckett standing behind me.
"Part two, battle of the exes!" Jax shouts to the crowd, who instantly start cheering again. I shoot a quick glare at the DJ, he had to bring that up? I give Beckett a once over and raise my brow before re-entering the makeshift circle. Jax drops another beat and Beckett and I begin tearing each other apart. We dance with pure determination, both wanting to beat the other, and neither willing to surrender. It seems like we've been dancing forever when the music finally stops. Beckett and I freeze, our chests inches apart, and faces so close I can feel Beckett's breath. Beckett looks me up and down once, then straight in the eye before turning around and disappearing into the crowd. Great. Tin soldier part two, I think to myself. I turn back to my friends and roll my eyes.
"Ignore him V," C tells me.
"Yeah, you totally won that anyway," Miles adds.
"Definitely," Sasha agrees. I shake my head in agitation.
"He shouldn't be able to do that!" I pout,
"I get that he's upset, the least he could do is confront me!"
"You know Beckett isn't the confrontational type," Sasha reminds me.
"Coulda fooled me," Miles mutters. I give him a light bump on the shoulder.
"Be nice," I chastise.
"Says you," Miles replies, rolling his eyes.
"Ugh, are you sure you two aren't a couple yet?" C groans.
"Hey! I also said that!" Jax exclaims. Great. Now they're going to bond, I think with a shudder.
"Shut up guys," Miles grumbles, a faint red staining his cheeks. This doesn't go unnoticed by Jax.
"Hey, on Monday, Mr. Park is having us do rap battles in class," Jax announces, abruptly changing the subject. I don't know where he's going with this.
"Yeah, his exact words were, writing songs and creating music is one thing, being able to create those same rhymes on your feet is a whole different story," Miles adds, probably grateful for the subject change.
"Yeah. That. So do you wanna come Vanessa? Ya know. To support Miles," Jax asks. I knew he was gonna say something. I look at C, who of coarse nods encouragingly, then at Miles.
"Sure, if it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't want to put pressure on you or anything," I say to him.
"Coarse not, it would be great if you wanted to come for emotional support, I'm gonna need as much as I can get," Miles jokes. We all laugh.
"Oh, V, we gotta head out. Prima practice in ten," C says, grabbing my arm and pulling me away. I look back and wave at the boys before rushing off to practice. It would not be good if the captain showed up late.

Words Count: 751

AN
So... Beckett isn't completely avoiding V anymore, thats good. Right? Also, who's ready for a rap battle in the next chapter:)