Wish For Change

//Vanessa//

"So I was thinking maybe an off balanced turn to the left, into a raised arabesque?" I say, showing Beckett what I mean as he watches me carefully. Choreographing has become so much easier since I've been able to show people what I want in the dance.
"I like it. And then we could do a side aerial going into a lunge, like this," Beckett adds.
"Yes, that's perfect," I say, beaming. We run through the dance as far as we can before the steady stream of our classmates comes flooding through the doors.
"I can't wait to meet our IMAD groups today!" Jenna exclaims as she meets us at the bar.
"Dancers! The schedule with group locations is on the board! Let's go!" Mrs. Helswheel yells.
"Day two, and she's already working us into the ground," Sasha grumbles. We all run to the board to find where our groups are supposed to meet.
"Cool, we get to stay here," Beckett tells me, pointing to the list. We sit down together on the bench with our bags, waiting for this Miles guy to find us. A few minutes after everyone else has left, the doors open again revealing a tall boy with brown hair and a guitar slung over his shoulder. The guy gives me serious Shawn Mendes vibes.
"He's cute," I whisper jokingly to Beckett. Beckett frowns.
"I guess," he grumbles.
"Hey. I'm Miles, are you two Vanessa and Beckett?" He asks.
"You know it. I'm Vanessa, but you can call me V. This is Beckett," I say smiling brightly.
"Her boyfriend," Beckett adds. Miles's smile falters, and he takes a step back.
"So," I say awkwardly, "does anyone have any ideas for our project?"
"Um, I have a few songs from last year we could use. I was thinking, since you two are dancers, our performance should probably center around you two dancing and I could do the music..." Miles trails off.
"Right, so, we should come up with a theme to help us get some ideas flowing," Beckett says.
"What about 'commitment'? I have a song from last year we could use with that," Miles suggests.
"That's an interesting concept. I feel like we could do a lot with that because it's broad, but still gives direction, ya know?" I ask, looking at Beckett.
"What's the song?" Beckett asks with a stoney expression. What is up with him?
"It's called 'Night Full Of Stars', I can play it if you guys want to hear it?" Miles asks.
"That would be great," I tell him. Miles smiles and pulls out his guitar,
"So this was originally meant to be played on piano, but I made an acoustic version too," he tells us. With that, Miles brushes the strings with his finger tips before beginning to sing.
"Just another night full of stars
No harm, no foul, no broken hearts
Feels like we're the push we can fly
Then I will stay up until the morning light,"
I lean over to Beckett,
"He's really good," I whisper.
"I will crash land at your house then carry you back to mine
We can fly over the city
We can do this thing right
As long as the night's full of stars wherever we are
As long as the night's full of stars, woah
Just another night full of stars."
"I really like that. What do you think Beckett?" I ask.
He shrugs.
"We could work with that I guess," He responds.
"So how do we want to present this?" Miles asks.
"Well, while you were singing, I was thinking it would be cool if we hung white fairy lights floor to ceiling on the stage, kind of like stars. Then, while you sing, Beckett and I can disappear and reappear throughout the dance to give off the commitment vibe," I say.
"That'd be really cool," Miles says, nodding. We  continue to collaborate and Beckett and I even begin to work out some choreo. By the end of the period I'm super excited for our project.

Word Count: 676