Wish For Shame

//Vanessa//

First period math is the absolute worst. Literally the only thing getting me through the week is the fact that me and C have to suffer through it together. I sit down in a random seat and drop my head onto the desk.
"Aren't you lively today," a voice says, sitting on my other side. I look up to see Miles grinning down at me.
"I didn't know you were in this class," I say.
"Ya know, when I don't acknowledge someone's existence, I generally don't tell them about it," Miles tells me.
"You know what I meant," I laugh.
"Obviously I don't," Miles jokes back.
"Hey, I hate to break up the little flirt fest here, but Mrs. Nelson is standing in the doorway," C whispers. Miles and I immediately quiet down as Mrs. Nelson begins the lesson on the board. I've never really had trouble learning math, and this unit on derivatives and integrals is mind numbingly simple. Mrs. Nelson drones on about the power rule and u-substitution for another fifteen minutes before handing out a worksheet for us to complete for tomorrow. I glance down at the paper in front of me. Only 25 problems. It takes me about twenty minutes to finish so I tuck the paper into my bag and pull out my phone.
"What are you doing?" Miles whispers to me.
"Snap," I reply, showing him my phone screen. I snap a picture of him for my streaks. Miles rolls his eyes at me.
"How are you done with this already?" He asks. I shrug my shoulders.
"Math isn't that difficult for me I guess," I tell him.
"Really? You understand this stuff?" Miles asks in disbelief.
"Uh yeah. Don't you?" I respond. Miles flushes.
"I almost failed math last year," he tells me. My eyes widen.
"Okay, you're sitting with me at lunch today so you can understand this," I tell him.
"Um are you sure? You don't have to give up your lunch for me," Miles says.
"Oh, it wasn't a question. You're going to understand this material," I respond. Miles just laughs and shakes his head at me before going back to his work sheet.

////

"Okay, So when you derive X^3+X^2-5X, you use the basic formula nX^n-1. So that means you take the 3 and move it down as a constant, then subtract 1 from your power to get 3X^2. Then you repeat it for the next two parts," I explain to Miles.
"See, why couldn't Mrs. Nelson just say that during class and make our lives easier?" Miles asks. I laugh as I watch him finish the problem.
"V!" I hear someone yell from across the quad. I look up to see Beckett running over.
"I thought we were gonna finish the Prima routine today," Beckett says when he reaches us.
"Your mom told me we had to wait until tomorrow because all the studio space was booked for IMAD rehearsals today. I texted you this morning about it," I remind him.
"My mom got us an open studio, I texted you second period," Beckett responds. I frown,
"Weird, I never got a text about it. I'm sorry," I reply.
"Hey V, can you check this problem for me? I'm pretty sure I chain ruled it right, but the g' thing always trips me up," Miles says.
"Yeah, of coarse," I reply, turning around to help him. It only takes a minute or two to explain the problem to Miles, but when I turn back around, Beckett is gone.
"Okay, be honest. Does Beckett seem a little weird to you?" I ask Miles, sitting down next to him. Miles puts his pencil down to look at me.
"I don't think he likes me very much. I think he's jealous," Miles tells me.
"Why? We're just friends! Right?" I exclaim.
"Yeah, and I have a girlfriend, so I'm pretty sure he has nothing to worry about," Miles adds laughing.
"You have a girlfriend. I need all the deets. Go!" I order. Miles laughs again.
"Her name is Alya, it's been complicated, but, we got together after our performance to save Keaton last year," Miles tells me.
"Wait. Alya Kendrick? The girl who wrote a song about me and Beckett?" I ask. Miles cringes.
"Yeah. I hope you know she really is sorry about that. She was honestly just trying to help," he tells me.
"Yeah, I guess. It's whatever. But what's not whatever is this math work sheet. And you actually need to get it done," I laugh, pointing at his half finished page.
"Okay, okay, slave driver," Miles jokes, getting back to his home work.

Word Count: 784