Chapter Eighteen : The New Heaven : Rikhata-Nia

I pulled the windows open, letting in the dawn air. Behind me Evangaline whined and pulled her covers up over her body, trying to escape the morning chill. Folding my arms on top of the windowsill, I leaned out a little, into the new day. Funny how a storm brings the best weather in it's wake. I remember all the mornings I'd spent sitting with Lilian up in the forest canopy, waiting for the sun while we kept each other safe from the cold. I dont know now if it was ever us keeping each other safe, or just me trying to see a hope that wasnt there. If I had the choice I wouldnt go back to her, but it feels so wrong to be alone.

"Morning" Evangaline yawned. 

"Morning" I replied. 

"Whats wrong?" Evangaline got out of her bed and walked to the window beside me. 

"Nothing" I continued staring off into the distance. 

"We both know that isnt true" I felt Evangaline turn to face me. "You dont have to tell me. Sorry for intruding" 

"No, its fine" I sighed. "You have every right to ask. I just... I miss having someone to rely on, and I'm too afraid of being hurt again to trust anyone"

"You are not alone, so take your time" Evangaline followed my gaze out into the empty morning. I chuckled weakly. 

"I hear you sometimes and think that you cant possibly be the person who resented everything about me" true the previous Evangaline had no appeal to me. She was average at best. But now... I dont know what I feel for her but its strong either way. Maybe I still hate her for what she has done, or I hate her for making me feel the way I do. To interupt our conversation, someone knocked at the door. I instinctively whipped my head around to the noise.

"The Queen will have you ready to leave in ten minutes. Do not leave your room until then, the castle is still being searched" I recognized the voice of one of the Guardians told us without entering. "You'll be going to the valley" 

"What valley?" I looked at Evangaline. I knew of a lot of valleys. Why would we need to visit any of them now?

"A clearing on a large plain between two mountains, surrounded by forest. I've been there once before" Evangaline explained. "I, um... I have to get dressed" she added, gesturing to her nightgown. I sat back down on the sofa I'd slept on, put my elbows on my knees, and covered my eyes. I waited about a minute, listening to Evangaline struggle into her tight clothing, before she sighed.

"Can you help me with this? Please" I opened my eyes. Evangaline had her back to me, with the lace on the back of her dress only tightened up to her waist, so she had to hold the front up. I stood and began winding the leather string through the small holes along the back of Evangaline's dress. I tried to focus on helping her, but my eyes kept wondering and I'd catch my heart rate increasing with my temperature. I wasnt ready to trust anyone yet. Unfortunately my body didnt get the notice.

"Thank you" She said when I was done. I nodded and stepped away.  The door opened slightly, the creak caused me to jump and turn abruptly.

"We're leaving" the Queen insisted. I scowled and stood still while Evangaline followed. "Another raid was spotted, we have to leave before we're in danger of being unable to go" with that I let her lead me out, into a waiting carrage. "Your dragon will have to stay here. She is too conspicious" with that the person at the reins started our trip to wherever it was the Queen was leading us.

. . .

Evangaline hadnt given this place enough acknowledgement. It was beautiful. Out in the middle of a meadow full of bright flowers and lush grass, was a spphire colored lake, and outside the meadow was just about the most lively and vibrant forest I've ever seen. Not to mention the horses. At least fiftey wild horses of varying color, pattern, size, shape, age, and everything else. The carrage we were in stopped at the fringe of the forest. We got out and instantly it was clear that very few people ever came here. No stench of the towns, no footprints, or paths, or little huts. Nothing but the natural world.