Chapter Twelve : The Bloodstained Dreamer : Evangaline

Waking up, the ground was soaked with water, and my room was wrecked by the hurricane that came last night. My servants must have boarded my windows shut, because they were indeed closed with planks of wood, while I was asleep. As much as I hate it my first concern was not for any of my possesions, but for Rikhata, who was left alone in the storm. I got out of bed and hastily put on clothes before I ran to Rikhata's room. The door was opened just slightly so I knocked and when no response came I burst in worriedly. She was nowhere to be seen, though her room was in order, windows shut, bed made, and fire long since stifled.

"She's gone" my mother came in behind me. "She left a few hours ago" I looked down with shame. I'd tried to take too much, as usual, and because of that she didnt even say goodbye. My mother left me alone in the cold room. 

"You'll be the death of me" I sighed. "You know whats the most terrifying thing about that?" I whispered to the empty room. "I'd let you" I ran my hand over her bed, taking in her lingering scent "I'd let you steal me and waste me as many times as it takes... I can see you dont know it, and you dont share my feelings. I hope you survive it, seeng Lilian. I wouldnt, if I was you. I'd still hope for the impossible. I'd cling to the belief that that stupid girl was lying to me and I wasnt betrayed like that. I blame myself for it, you loosing her. I know I'm just making up reasons, but I cant stop it" I blurted uncontrolably. Why was it I could only talk to her, only find the words when I was alone? When she was gone. 

. . .

I was sleeping when the alarms rang. I was sleeping in my clothes, just waiting for some sign the messangers had returned. But it wasnt supposed to be by alarm. I ran as fast as I could to the gates. There was a group of Guardians clustered together, talking conspiritoriously.

"Evangaline" my mother's voice was a mere breath. I instantly knew what had happened, though I couldnt bring myself to understand it.

"Is she...?"

"I dont know" she answered, gesturing for me to follow. The sight was nauseating. Rikhata had a deep wound to her stomach, which was bandaged, but still soaking her bed and clothes with red blood. Worse, on her arm, written by knife in her skin was offer accepted, Lilian, princess of the Northern Kingdom. My stomach lurched. The only thing worse than the sight and the nausea was the heartwrenching greif. I reached out to touch her, but I was met with a snarl and jaws snapping close to my fingers. Akyra hissed at me and blocked Rikhata.

"She wont let us help" my mother muttered. "She'll bleed to death if we do nothing, and if not soon, she'll get infected" 

There was a noise behind me, and when I turned, it was nothing but a small plant. I walked away for a moment to pick it up, then I ran back to Rikhata. Her pet jumped up and got in front of her in an instant, spitting sparks at me. I dropped the little plant I was holding. That set Akyra off. She turned toward it sharply and widened her eyes. She got out of the way and started nudging me forward, picking up the green thing in her mouth and putting it in my hand. 

"Evangaline?" My mother entered, and Akyra blocked her from Rikhata. I tapped Akyra's neck, causing her to move, allowing my mother forward. She turned and gestured for someone to come, and a group of doctors showed up behind her. Akyra flinched, but allowed them to get to her. All this... Over a plant? I kept running through my memory to find answers, but they were none, so I gave up and watched the doctors try to help Rikhata. I turned away when they removed the bandage, the blood and disgustinly messy gouging of her body was simply too much for me to stare at. 

"She's alive" one of the doctors said. My heart stopped, then restarted. She is alive? 

"When will she wake up?" I whispered.

"Three days at least" another said. My heart did a flip, first sad, then happy, then back to sad. 

"Oh..." I muttered. I lay down on a bed as close to Rihkata as I could find, though not too close as to get in the way of the doctors. I stayed there, watching them swarm around Rikhata. When they stood in front of her injuries I thought she could have been asleep, so I'd allow myself a smile, then thye'd move and the grusome injuries would return. I started to sing again, after everyone had left but me. It had brought her out of her hiding once, maybe I can do it again? 

**Hey hey hey, so the song I chose for this is my ALL TIME FAVORTIE its by Christina Perri, and it kinda goes with this, but I think it will be more appropriate later in the book, BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH I CANT WAIT FOR YOU ALL TO HEAR IT!!!!