Chapter Fifteen : The Fleeing Truth : Evangaline

It was a few hours until midnight, and I was just able to stay awake. After four days of no sleep I was only kept awake by Akyra's growling whenever I tried to close my eyes. The only sleep I got was when the medics came to check on Rikhata, when Akyra allowed me to nap, then she'd wake me up again. 

"Its been four days. You were suposed to wake up yesterday" I whispered. "You know, the castle is terrifying at night. I never stayed out this late, and now I can hear wolves. You'd think they were loud enough to wake you... Are you ever going to get up? My mother isnt going to let me stay here forever and I hate the smell of blood" I sighed. This is all I've done for four days; talk to an unconcious Rikhata and her incohierent pet. I let out a deep breath and sat back on my cot. Akyra jumped suddenly and darted behind me, shoving me off my bed.

"Ouch!" I grumbled as I stumbld forwards, nearly tripping over Rikhata due to my sleep deprivation -thus lack of coardination and balance. Akyra ignored me and nudged Rikhata's head gently. Rikhata flinched slightly, just enough to know she was coming back. I froze. Forgetting all my considerations I got to my knees beside her bed and kissed her lightly. Akyra hissed and shoved me away. 

"I-" I tried, but remembered where my position was with Rikhata and backed away, returning to my seat on the bed. Rikhata groaned and her eyes opened slightly, looking around in a daze. "Morning" I allowed myself a smile.

"What?" Rikhata moaned, blinking away the mistyness in her vision, though it still didnt focus right. "Where am I?"

"The infirmary" my smile faded "what happened?" Rikhata didnt seem to hear me, instead she looked at Akyra. 

"Lilian?" That was just about the only word I could catch in Rikhata's conversation with Akyra. After a few minutes she looked back at me "is Lilian alive?" My heart dropped.

"I dont know. I didnt hear anything about what happened" 

"I hope she died..." Rikhata closed her eyes tightly, tears beginning to drip down her cheeks. "I dont know if its wrong or right. I think I love her but I dont want to- why am I telling this to you?" She looked at me for an answer.

"I dont know" I told her. 

"You dont know anything about me" Rikhata scowled.

"No, I dont" 

"So why are you here?"

"I cant leave"

"Why?"

"You were unconcious and bleeding. You got hurt and I want to make sure you live"

"Surviving isnt living"

"No, its not. You seem to want to know a lot about me" 

"Lilian told me you arent who I think"

"My life is an open book"

"How long have I been out?"

"Four- almost five- days"

"You've been here the whole time"

"Yes"

"That wasnt a question. Akyra told me what happened"

"I'm sorry..." My neck and cheeks were heating rapidly. Rikhata just kept staring at me with a blank scowl. Just as I said that my mother came in, looking as grim as she usually did over the past four days.

"The North has taken control of the West. They're preparing for a massacre" she muttered, then settled her gaze on Rikhata. "You're awake. I've sent messangers to the South, their Healer will be here soon to assess you and begin recovery"

"I need to know, before you leave," Rikhata murrmured as my mother was leaving, but she stopped when Rikhata spoke. "Lilian told me Evangaline isnt who we're led to believe. Lilian knows I'd ask if I went back here, so it has to be bad, and she used it to try and bribe me, so it must be important"

"The past is set and amended. Some secrets are meant for a time, now is not then" with that the queen walked away, leaving me with Rikhata for just a second before a servant came in with a steaming bowl of broth.

"Wildling" the servant set it down on a nearby table. "Princess, the queen requested you aid the Wildling until she may herself. From the look of the bandage you'll need to replace them" with that the servant left. I glanced at the bloody cloth on Rikhata's body.

"I'll be back in a moment" I left and went to the medicinal storage, gathering bandage cloth and varous herbs to help me. I returned quickly, taking one of the plants in my fingers and grinding it to a pulp before putting it in Rikhata's broth. I brought it to her and helped her drink it. When the herbs put her back to sleep I began fixing her bandages, masking my disgust at the wounds with resolve to preform what I'd been asked.

I did this for nearly three more days. Wake up, change bandages, talk a little, change again, feed, sleep, and repeat. 

**This may be a little boring and short but I'm working on getting to the next major plot point and this whole thing is really just needed to help with the flow of time in the story. Buut who has predictions for that secret Lilian and the queen were talking about? Do you think it may have something to do with that third person scene with the witch? P.S. no one has given me any predictions on that either ;)