Chapter Fourteen : The Shattered Heart ~ Part Two : Rikhata-Nia

The trip northwards was horrid. The wind was against us the whole time, while the rocky spines that protected the island North were like thorns jutting out of the angry ocean. The waves wanted nothing more than to smash us into the spikes. Docking on the North shore was even less pleasant. I stopped trying to count the number of ships that bashed us and asked our business after thirty. They'd notice me, and the whole crew would start taunting and laughing at me. They told me about the new queen and her king, how already a child was expected, and they'd laugh harder when I hid from the blaring insults below deck.

"I feel like I should either say something to you, or bite the Northerner's asses off" Akyra hissed irately. She's been hiding under deck this whole time, suffering sea sickness, which apparently birds- or dragons get.

"Bite first, talk second" I spat. "Do they see it hurts? Of course. And it is their amusement that it is painful for me. Why? Why does it have to be my suffering that they enjoy?!" I sat in a corner and put my head in my hands, taking deep breaths to try and rid myself of the tears behind my throat.

"Its the nature of every creature to belittle, destroy, sympathize, or aid. No one being can be purely good because there is always an instinct that enjoys power" Akyra lay down next to me. 

"Wildling" one of the men came down and called me. "We are at the dock. The North Guardians are here to escort us"

"Good luck. I mean it. I'm here. I'll come soon to make sure you are alright" Akyra got to her feet and nudged me forward. I followed the Guardian to the deck and off the ship, where three large men with full armor and weaponry lead us through many gates into a desolate town, then another set of gates to a more active, though still ragged looking town. The third set of gates lead to a part of the kingdom that looked like it was made of gold and ivory. Behind the last set of gates was the palace; a rocky stronghold with iron spires, and a multitude of exposed guards, archers, and other means of defence. We were taken to the throne room, and my body was so wracked by anxiety I was close to passing out, throwing up, my body was shaking, my heart racing and aching. 

"My queen, the Eastern kingdom has sent messangers" one of our escorts grunted harshly, moving me forward with the butt of his spear.

"I see that" I knew that voice, but the icy sharpness was new to me. I was only just able to look up at her. In a skirt of steel slates, full chest armor, crowned, holding a deadly sword, and followed by a crimson cape was Lilian. "Wildling" she hissed at me. 

"Traitor" I replied with as confident a voice I could muster.

"Guards, leave. Take the Eastern Guardians with you. The Wildling will stay" Lilian waved away the guards. When we were alone she did the exact opposite of what I expected. She dropped her sword and took me into her arms. "I missed you. I'm sorry I-they took me here, I couldnt fight them..." She cried softly. I gladly held her closer, my relief far greater than my doubts. "Dont go back, stay with me... Dont leave me here... The East is dangerous. I've learned things here. Things that could burn them to the ground. I know you've come for war, but please stay here. The East cant win"

"What have you learned?" I felt my expression harden.

"The princess. She isnt who you think"

"Who is she then?"

"I cant tell you. They'd kill me"

"Then come with me. You can come back and there will be no war"

"You wont stay here?"

"No. The North is immoral"

"If thats what you think" Lilian let me go, a twisted smile on her face. She used one arm to pull me in for a deep kiss, and even if I had chosen not to allow it, I had no choice. She slammed me against a wall aggresively and I heard a blade slide out of a sheath. I didnt have time to react before it was plundged into my abdomen, taken out, and stabbed back in repeatedly. I couldnt breath or scream, just suffer Lilian's ferocity and the blade of the knife.My knees buckled and Lilian finally let me down. When she did she straddled me and wrote on my arm with her knife, I didnt get to see what she wrote because the walls of the throne room shattered like glass, a roar echoed outside, and fire blazed around us. I only had time to see Akyra decending above me before I blacked out.