Chapter Ten : The Broken Hallelujah : Evangaline

**Hey hey hey! Just a note, you have to listen to the song to get this chapter name. You'll see when it comes up. I heard it as a kid and it seems like the most mideval thing I could find that still worked with this story :) read on 

"We will send off messangers come daybreak. Evangaline, I know it will be hard to convince Rikhata to leave, but she must. I am sorry. I know it is too much to ask, but I cannot break traditions; I'd be no better than the North" my mother shook her head. Soon after I fell asleep my mother called me to a council, so we were now in the war room, plotting the prologue to war. We planned on sending a few guardians to the North, to tell them that war will begin. Rihkata had to go because the Northerners would likely kill the messangers to frighten the East, and she was the most threatening of those in the East. But she doesnt deserve to face Lilian after this. 

"I'll go with her. She cant-" I protested.

"I'm sorry, my dear, you cant go. You have not learned to fight. It is not safe for you to-" I cut my mother off.

"Then it is far less safe for Rikhata! If Lilian attacked she couldnt fight back! She just got here, dont make her risk her life so soon..." I choked. I couldnt say aloud, because there were a few other war lords in my presence, but I couldnt bear to think that while I was safe here in my castle, Rikhata was facing the love that had betrayed her, alone, and in danger. Lilian would probably attack Rikhata, and Rikhata clearly still has too great feelings for Lilian to fight back.

"Princess, your mother is right. No matter how unprepared the girl is, she must go. It will be her life wagered to give ten of our best men a hope of returning to their families" one of the warlords scolded me. It took all my will not to scream that her life was easily worth ten men. Instead I just nodded and walked out of the chamber to where I could hear Rikhata sobbing from inside her room. 

"Rikhata?" I tapped on the door, a lump blocking my throat, so my voice cracked a little.

"Go away!" She screamed. 

"Okay... I need to tell you something..." I whispered, walking across the hall to the window paralell to the door and sat against the wall, just staring at the doors that kept Rikhata alone. After an eternity of waiting I began to hum to myself in boredom. Soon I let the wordless vibrations turn to a song. I dont know what I was singing, just that the sound filled the halls so I felt like there were others with me. I heard something creek and I cut off the music, the whole world went quiet.

"Was that you?" Rikhata's voice was as weak as her body appeared, both were trembling, though only her body showed her red eyes and soaked cheeks. 

"I-sorry... I'll stop" I whispered. Rikhata didnt say anything for some time, just stared at me blankly, causing me to shift uncomfortably.

"You... You said you had to tell me.... What?" I just shook my head and looked at her quivering body. I felt tears well in my eyes. 

"I wanted to tell you... I'm here if you need me" I said instead of telling her she had to set out to face Lilian tomorrow morning. 

"What happened to you?" Rikhata managed a weak laugh, though it was obviously forced.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"You're suposed to hate me, remember? Try to make me feel bad about loving Lilian... Looks like you were right..." Rikhata bit the inside of her lip and shut her eyes, her breathing hitched in her throat and a new wave of tears flooded her face.

Next I knew I'd gotten up and she was in my arms. My heart was about to break out of my rib cage, but it managed to get worse when Rikhata's arms tightened around my neck and she sobbed into my shoulder. I held her closer, protecting her from whatever ghosts were cursing her. I let out a breath I hadnt known I was holding, nuzzling my way deeper into her hair. 

"I dont hate you anymore" I breathed deeply, taking in her scent. She smelled like the forest, she smelled like she never knew the stench of the villages, just lemon grass and morning dew.

"Me neither" Rikhata laughed faintly, though it was real now, and she brushed her soft lips over my cheek. I knew what I was going to do, and I knew I shouldnt, but I also knew I couldnt stop myself. My head turned and I was about to touch my lips to hers when she pushed me away and ran as fast as she could back into her room, closing the door and falling back into her mindless wailing. My chest tightened again, my heart ached in my chest. I couldnt believe it for a few moments while I processed what she'd done. She'd been gracious enough to let me comfort her, and all I could do was demand more of her?! Even if she did impossibly like me, woulnt she feel like she was betraying her love to Lilian? Or still recovering from such a painful betrayal? I can say now without a doubt: I'm falling for her, falling for Rikhata. But I may have just lost my chance to show her I'd put her first.