New Beginnings (epilogue pt. 2)

Hi. Idk if yall have seen The Mummy, but i thought Brenden Fraser (God bless his soul. He grew old but not his fault) would be a good person to play old Jim. Lmao. Im still around if youve got questions.

You lowered yourself on the sofa and set the gun beside you. You anxiously tightened your robe's to cover yourself more.

The Aynes watched your nervous face carefully with no expression. It's eyes were red and demonic looking.

"I'm guessing by the look on your face you know who I am. Or more likely, what I am."

You nodded. "You're one of the Aynes."

He nodded. "More specifically, we've met before, on the ship you destroyed over a hundred years ago?"

Your mouth parted in shock. You completely forgot about your curse that made you live an ageless and deathless life. You still can't remember how this camw to be. Maybe this creature came to bring you answers. "You--were you that boy that triggered the alarm?" But this Aynes looked older, more wise looking, and confident.

He smiled sadly. "Yes. You killed many of my brethren. Not that I was fond of them. They teased me for being young. And especially after the chaos when you died. I was blamed as well." He waved his hand when he saw your shocked expression. "Hardly matters. But to me, it did. When we returned home, I was banned from traveling with the Elders for decades, praying and forcing myself to think of ways to earn back their respect."

The Aynes nostrils flared and pursed his lips as he thought of his past. You took this as an opportunity to speak. "But, how are you here? And why? Shouldn't you be dead?"

The creature nodded. "We Aynes have a long life expectancy. As for the reason why I'm here, let's go back to when my brethren sought fault in both of us. Their form of punishment--yours and mine--the Elders had some nasty tricks up their sleeves. First, they agreed to restore your life Why? Because we knew what would happen to you once you woke up with a new refreshed soul. We knew you'd live for decades and decades, loving and losing people, dying but never for long, and worse, no companionship. You were to live in forced solitude despite your efforts. We've been watching you--me especially. Suffice to say, until recently, you've cleverly avoided the company of others knowing from experience."

You frowned. Did he mean Edward? Your mind buzzed with dozens of questions.

As if reading your thoughts, the Ayne nodded. "I do mean Edward Kenway. And yes, I will await your questions after I'm done explaining." He cleared his throat. "This was the worst punishment we could think of for your species as humans--solitude with no remedy. It was supposed to make you mad--we half succeeded."

There was a pause where the Aynes looked at you. You realized it was your turn to speak.

"How did I...how was I revived?"

The Aynes said nothing and reached forward and pointed at your chest. Immediately, a pink glow emitted from your heart area. You pulled back the cloth from your chest looked down with horrified eyes and looked at the Aynes for an explanation.

"Remember that crystal you came to steal on the ship? The red one? That was a Philosopher's Stone. After we stole your body after the battle, we agreed to plant the gem inside your missing heart and revive you. We sacrificed a powerful object for you--a mere human. You have the stone, now. We planted it in you to give you several trials in your new life to see what good you can accomplish during your time before its energy runs out. This is one of our forms of punishment that consequently suits a human's worst fear as well. Your trials are over now and I'm afraid your judgement has now come."