Seeking

Your head throbbed, like someone pressed their knuckles hard on your skull in between them, giving you a nauseous feeling. Your eyes fluttered open and it took a moment for your eyesight to adjust. You rolled your head to the side and took a minute to process your surroundings. The room was small with brown walls and a window to the left showing evening sunlight. To the right was a closed door, and beside to you was a heart monitor.

You sat up and grimaced and your hand went up instinctively to your aching head. When you withdrew it, you noticed tattoos on both your arms. You brushed a finger on your left arm and curiously examined the tattoos. On your wrist, just above the I.V. line, had an image of a ship's steering wheel with a name encircling it. Above on your arm, there was a beautiful red flower, you could barely recognise it. Your other forearm had tiny star shapes around a compass, you moved your sleeve hiding the next tattoo on your shoulder and frowned. It was a skull with a crossed pistol and sword.

You continued to stare at in in confusion and amazement, a tattoo like that would surely something that only pirates get

You continued to stare at in in confusion and amazement, a tattoo like that would surely something that only pirates get. But why would you have something like that?

Your frown deepened as you realized you knew nothing of yourself.

You already established what your name was. Strange how convenient that the tattoo had your name.

But who are you?

How did you end up here?

What if your accident killed your family, if you had one, and now you're all alone?

What if you're now a cripple?

A moments pause where you wiggled your toes and moved your legs and both your arms.

Nope, not crippled nor paralysed. But your thighs ached, and your whole body had wrapped bandages.

You swung your legs over you could sit over the edge of the bed. Your stomach growled, and you groaned at the pain. How long have you gone without eating?

You looked up and saw a nightstand with neatly folded clothes and shoes, but no meal. You grabbed the I.V. pole and hauled yourself up, trembling.

As soon as you were able to stand, an intense pounding in your head caused your hands to fly up to your head and the weakness in your legs to fall.

You cried out, your fingers desperately grasping at your hair. It felt like someone was drilling into you head. Images blurred in your mind, giving you no time to process them. They were your memories, memories you couldn't remember and were locked away. The pain left as quick as it came, and you dropped your hands and lay curled on the floor. Your heart beat rapidly and you were breathing hard.

Trembling, with weak arms, you pushed yourself off the ground with the support of the I.V. pole. You don't remember anything from that brief event, but you felt the urgency to get out and leave.