Dishes

* * * *

Silver declared your's and Jim's job of mopping the deck was finished and shoved the big pot he had in his hands in your hands sent you off to eat some supper and then clean the dishes before you go to bed.

Upon arriving in the kitchen, you noticed several crewmembers sitting in the tables eating and chatting away--even Scroop was present, much to your dislike, but he paid hardly any mind to you and Jim and sent only menacing glares in your direction. While you have been mopping, it seems like everyone has begun supper without you and Jim. You don't know what made you angrier--the fact that everyone had begun eating without you and the pot was possibly empty by now, or the fact that there was already a large pile of dishes in the corner of the kitchen.

You and Jim shared a worried glance and you went over to the pot simmering in the center of the kitchen and peered inside. There was still a good amount of stew left and you quickly served it in two bowls and handed one to Jim. You took a mouthful and realized it tasted better than it looked. You told Jim this and he reluctantly took a mouthful.

After supper, everyone left to rest, except for you and Jim, who stayed behind to wash the dishes in the open clearing between the kitchen and dining tables. You didn't speak much except Jim who mostly complained about Silver. You chimed in every so often where you agreed, but kept silence otherwise.

As you scrubbed a dish, Jim suddenly said in an apologetic tone. "Hey, remember earlier when you asked about my scar and I mentioned it had to do with my dad?"

You paused scrubbing and looked at him. "Yes."

"Sorry if I acted like a jerk about it. It's just...what I said to Silver about him leaving and never coming back...that was true. I didn't get to explain-"

You only stared at him as he looked into the giant wooden tub of dishwater as if vividly remembering that day his father left. You've noted the many times he's been feeling glum in the past hours, and you needed to relieve him from that pain so he wouldn't have to struggle trying to explain something you already knew.

"I know what happened, Jim. Your mother told me," you said bluntly, but also considerately.

Jim locked eyes with you. "Wait, what?"

You returned to your scrubbing and explained how you were going into the kitchen one day for some tea and met Sarah inside who told you the whole story. You left out the parts where Sarah wept for Jim and where you gave her the advice.

"She even showed me what he looked like with her necklace--the one that shows you the good memories--and I just..." you sighed and looked over at Jim who had this appalled expression. "He looked just like you."

"So you... knew this whole time about my dad?"

You nodded. "I'm sorry. I know it's weird, but I didn't want to have to put you through memory lane again. Seeing as how Silver and I put you through it earlier."

Jim looked downcast at the plate in his hand. "I just...you know a lot about me before we even got to know each other. And yet, I don't a lot about you. Like, I never asked what your age was?

"I'm sixteen."

Jim's eyes widened. "Wai-what? Seriously? I'm almost sixteen."

You held back a laugh and paused your washing again. "So what, huh? It's just a small difference." You sighed. "There's more to worry about than our age difference. I am certain this voyage will do wonders for my memory. I believe it already has."

"What? How?"

"I don't know. It's not exact memories, but something is trying to push its way out. I just need something stronger to trigger it. It's hard to explain, but it began when we met Silver."

This startled Jim. "Do you think you might know him?"

"Oh, God. I hope not. He did ask me strange questions. But what of it? Let's just focus on the trip, okay? I've got enough to worry about--my amnesia, the map being stolen, the crew being evil, et cetera et cetera "

Jim laughed. "Alright. If Silver weren't breathing down our necks most all the time, you know what I wish I could do?"

"Mm? What?"

"I'd like to just gaze at the stars with you, you know? Just like when when we watched the sun rise."

You stopped mid-scrub and lifted your eyes to the floor beneath you. That was the most happiest day you've had since you woke up, but also life-changing. You realized that day you felt more human than ever before, but you felt like you posed a a threat and you decided to leave once and for all.

You snorted to hide your nervousness about your own feelings. "This is a small ship. Privacy is a luxury no one can afford. You've so much to learn about sailing." You scrubbed harder to distract yourself from the pleasant thought of him holding you and kissing you until your hands went numb from the vigorous scrubbing.

One finished, your fingers were so wrinkly and your arms ached more than ever. You never asked Jim about what he meant and just focused on bringing feeling into your fingers.

You and Jim clambered downstairs and went to your chosen hammocks through the rows and heavy sleeping creatures that snored loudly or soundly. You looked at your bunkmate below and noticed it was a small lizard creature. Jim was unfortunate to have the member whom he first met this morning--the giant fart-nose-making slug creature. You muttered goodnight to Jim and fell asleep in your hammock with Stygian curled on the floor.

* * * *